Defiant nf1

First Name
Dave
Ive made a couple of these in the past.A very basic kit.I shall be interested to see what you can do with it John.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi John. I just remembered posting in the 'Latest Acquisitions' thread when I found your 'Under Construction' one.

The kit I have is molded in black. The Airfix kit issues include the nose being too narrow/shallow in shape, the radiator scoop too far forward, and the tail fin is the wrong shape. If you Google search 'Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant' you can find many build forums comment on the alterations required. Some posters have also provided fixes using plastic card, a lot of filler, and even a sawn off Spitfire nose section.

I first came across the shape issues when I placed the fuselage half over a 1/72 drawing of a Defiant. The differences were immediately obvious. Since then the kit has sat in a cupboard waiting for its day of reckoning. It would still build into a nice enough kit, but the inaccuracies bug me.

J

John Huggins

Thanks Joe, i will take a look see.

Dont know iff it's worth the hassel at this small scale, i would give my right arm for a 1/48 scale of this one.

John

K

Keith9657

Looks good so far, John. Its an interesting aircraft. I'm sure you'll make the best of it.

Keith

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well John it's going to be a bit difficult.

But, as many have said there is some great satisfaction in sorting one of these old kits out. And when the photo's are in the completed section, we'll now how much hard work went into the end result.

Go for it and tell it who's boss.

Colin M...

C

CDW

There's quite a few 1/48ths on that ebay thing, most from the US but a couple from Germany, not too bad on price either.

First Name
Dave
I started the 1/48th kit sometime in the 90's but never finished it.Didnt have the Patience i have now.Wish i still had the kit.If i remember correctly the transparencies were vacform,which at the time i didnt have any experience with.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well John you're making a cracking job of this matey.

Have fun, John