Desert Mirage

First Name
Mike
Another oldie, the Airfix 1/72 Mirage F.1, one of my all-time favorite jets (along with the Hunter and F-86). Quite a nice little kit from the 70s, I rescribed the panel lines, added some cockpit detail and hollowed out the jet pipe. Markings are homemade for a Qatari AF plane.

IMG_0001_900.jpg

IMG_0002_900.jpg

IMG_0004_900.jpg

IMG_0005_900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work Mike , how you re-scribe so neatly is beyond me , i cant do it to save my life !! cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Very nice love the paint job , did you know that in the seventies the desert was so hot that sidewinders couldn't lock on to aircraft and went straight into the ground :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful model Mike, another oldie which after your build rivals anything the new tool kits can produce.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Mike. I think the re-scribing really makes the model stand out. It really doesn't look like a 70's kit now.

S

Stevekir

Mike: any tips on getting such a perfect finish? For example, acrylic, enamel? Do you lightly sand every coat including the primer? It's airbrushed, right?

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the comments, guys.

\ said:
Mike: any tips on getting such a perfect finish? For example, acrylic, enamel? Do you lightly sand every coat including the primer? It's airbrushed, right?
Cheers Steve. I usually prime my models with Tamiya white fine surface primer, decanted from the rattle-can and airbrushed. The camo colors are Tamiya acrylics, thinned with Tamiya's own lacquer thinners and airbrushed, no sanding between coats. IIRC the underside blue is Xtracrylix. I used paper masks to get the semi-soft demarcation lines. A couple of coats of Future, decals applied, then airbrushed with Testors Flat.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thanks for the comments, guys.Cheers Steve. I usually prime my models with Tamiya white fine surface primer, decanted from the rattle-can and airbrushed. The camo colors are Tamiya acrylics, thinned with Tamiya's own lacquer thinners and airbrushed, no sanding between coats. IIRC the underside blue is Xtracrylix. I used paper masks to get the semi-soft demarcation lines. A couple of coats of Future, decals applied, then airbrushed with Testors Flat.
Thanks. Nothing special concerning products. So its down to that old thing: skill. Also, from the very fuzzy shadow, I see that you must have used a light tent which of course gives a very soft all-round light. Perhaps that helps to bring out the quality of your painting. I will experiment.

First Name
Gregg
Amazing paint job, love those tones, so more interesting than the usual schemes seen on these!