Desert Sand

709thsoldat

Hello all,

I have seen some absolutely excellent desert dioramas on here, and I am wondering, What do you all use for sand?

I have explored using regular old sand, but the grains are somewhat too large and they are almost glossy.

I require extremely fine grains with a matte look to them.

I would also like to know if anybody knows a way to effect a hard packed dusty surface with cracks and whatnot.

Thanks,

-Christian.

D

dubster72

Bicarbonate of soda painted a sand colour would be my way. It gives a scale appearance & painting it gives better control over the colour ; different parts of the world have varying shades.

For hardpack, just a plaster like polyfilla, and carve or paint the cracks.

Cheers

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am absolutely NOT a dioramist! However,following advice from this very forum I used sharp sand for my one and only desert dio. I did spray it to get the colour I wanted.

I don't think it is too over scale even at 1/72. The larger rocks and stones are railway ballast begged from a railway modeller!

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

i use ground coriander from the spice section in any super market

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Christian, keep it simple.

Like Steve, sharp sand every time, dirt cheap and for fissures and cracks, just scribe along the sand with either the back of your modelling knife or a precision screw driver. For deeper 'Holes' just dig a bit out of the base.

Some sharp sand has a good, natural desert colour, but apart from spraying, if you want a different colour here and there, just flick some water on it, don't ask me why, but it will dry darker.

Budgie grit makes another excellent desert floor!

Ron

N

noble

Hi Chris, i use budgie sand from the pet shop if you want to see an example of it have a look at my after Gazala diorama. All you do is sprinkle it on then add a slightly darker wash of oil paint over it then highlight sections.

scott

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I'm with Scott first dio I did in sand I used sand from the pet shop cheap pound for a large bag goes a very long way

Geegad

709thsoldat

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your advice, but I have found a method perfectly suited to my needs.

Ground up kitty litter makes a very fine sandy type of thing. Mix in a little tile grout, sprinkle it on wet plaster, spritz it with water, and it dries rock hard, ready for airbrushing.

-Chris