Desert weathering - A first attempt

Big Red

SMF Poster
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
37
Likes
32
Points
18
First Name
Jim
#22
Thanks Steve.

I opted to try oils, but not being confident I didn’t want to spend too much on a technique I may not be comfortable with. Fortunately ‘Wilkos’ came to the rescue, £3.50 got me a set of 12 colours. Whilst the quality may not be up there with artists oils, it will get me started.
A3D506E6-2EC1-4C54-A368-540FF45F174C.jpeg A95512C9-BCEB-4A7E-B19D-8143AF89ECEA.jpeg
I opted for burnt umber as a dark brown would compliment the camo, but provide a dark enough contrast. I used a rough 80:20 mix of thinners to paint.

Jim
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
37
Likes
32
Points
18
First Name
Jim
#23
So, next stages! A bit of a large update.

I added some chipping where I thought the most wear would have occurred. I think I got a bit carried away, but given that it will be further ‘dirtied’ I was happy with the outcome.
8528472C-CE96-4B99-B97D-6A698B342593.jpeg 3C1C8996-04A7-40E1-BB6A-5B4C6166BE83.jpeg

I sprayed a light dust coat of light tan to dull down the gloss finish prior to my next experiment.
13B72A09-8352-4955-9D1E-A477A16948EB.jpeg E7122BB3-4F78-4A47-BA46-D8952AFA5AAB.jpeg
Next was an attempt at a oil dot wash. For this I used 4 oil colours; white, vermillion, ultramarine and yellow ochre. These were randomly applied as dots to each panel and then blended using a flat brush barely wet with thinners. On sloped or vertical panels I used a brushing motion to give a streaking effect, whilst on flat panels I used a stippling effect.

Before
63A2B713-8647-4E9B-AE9F-8354931AFAD8.jpeg
Dots applied,
4D047D09-4DFC-4B94-9D9B-29CFCDB7A0CA.jpeg
The point at which I panicked!
2A5AE68D-0D24-4DB5-A88B-6851CA055F01.jpeg
Part blended
637D0168-773C-4A0B-9889-638EAD2963F9.jpeg
The finished article B49990F5-4F91-416E-9EDF-D3B2285727A0.jpeg
The overall effect has given a ‘warmer’ finish to the colour, and a dusty/grubby effect (I hope). The vermillion was the dominant colour, so overall the dust effect appears on the pinkish side.
48681F51-C8D3-45CF-B53F-6674C539BDE7.jpeg 23C04FE5-4C29-4BC6-90A4-747F91E3D576.jpeg
Finally I primed the tracks, gave them a base coat of dark grey, with a thin coat of rust over the top. I then applied some weathering pigments.
5082E8A3-0986-4EBB-8A43-8FFA5CCCA653.jpeg
Sorry for the mega post, but a couple of days of work has given plenty of bench time for a change. All comments welcome.

Jim
 
Top