Designers who wanted something different-Payen & Bugatti.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Two revolutionery aviation designs from yesteryear-

10ababc30.jpg

Payen PA100 .

Roland Payen was a true pioneer who had great imagination and an eye for the un-usual,his great drive was not always appreciated as he was light years ahead of others,he was a very accomplished designer and inventor who loved his work.

The Payen 100 is but only one design by this great inventor.

10d35b920.jpg

Bugatti 100 Racer.

The Bugatti Model 100 airplane was designed in 1937 by Louis D. de Monge a Belgian aviation pioneer.

The design came about at the request of Ettore Bugatti, a self-taught automobile engineer and designer. Bugatti became famous for building cars, racing engines, railcars, helicopter blades, automotive tooling, crankshaft for Hispano-Suiza aircraft engines and many other innovative automotive and aviation related components.

When Bugatti contacted de Mong in 1937, his goal was to compete in the famous "Coupe Deutch" air race and ultimately break the world speed record.

The Bugatti was originally designed for one engine and a single propeller. Shortly after the initial sketch was made, the design was revised to include a second engine, located behind the first one, and a second, counter-rotating propeller.

Construction of the prototype began in 1938 at the Bugatti factory in collaboration with de Monge. For a variety of reasons including delays in seeking patents and the death of Bugatti's son Jean in 1940, the aircraft was disassembled and moved to the family castle in Ermenonville. Ettor Bugatti died in 1947 and the aircraft was sold to M. Serge Pozzoli in 1960. In 1970 Pozzoli sold the aircraft to Raymond Jones, a car collector for the Bugatti engines. The fuselage passed from hand to hand until it was finally donated to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) museum, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, in 1996. After being gifted to the EAA, the aircraft was restored and now hangs in the visitor gallery of the museum.

T

tigertc

What a truly awesome piece of design the 100 is. It looks like it could fly backwards. I am guessing it never flew?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well here is more to the story of this machine,it seems that war got in its way-

Bugatti’s interest in aircraft increased as well as his dislike for the Germans. After World War I and his great successes in automobile racing, he decided to take the Germans head on in the Deutsche de La Muerthe Cup Race, known as the Coupe Deutsch. This was an aircraft race equivalent to the Thompson Trophy Race held in the United States. With this desire to beat the Germans, he hired Louis D. de Monge to design an airframe. The original concept was for a single-engine aircraft, but later was changed to accommodate two modified Bugatti model 50B engines in an effort to break the world airplane speed record.

Construction of the aircraft was undertaken on the second floor of a furniture factory in Paris. The French government was aware of the advanced design and Bugatti received a contract for a light pursuit plane designated as the Model 110P based on the Model 100P racer. In 1938-1939, while the Model 100 was under construction, the threat of war increased. The aircraft had to be completed by September of 1939 to enter the race. The deadline was not met and the beautiful blue bird never took to the air.

T

tigertc

Read the entire article......Shame the engines are missing..and yet another WW2 what if scenario. FW190's,Spits and 109's all around the 300-400 mark and the Bugatti flaming all of them at a whopping 500mph.

Sadly we will never know. I wonder if the MOD knew of its existance when the war started, and if so, why it was'nt shipped over here.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That is a beautiful model of the Bugatti racer,just look at that finish on the wings ! he must have polished them to get a shine like that,I bet that is a really hot ship.

You can bet your life that the MOD knew about this design,look at the wing shape does it remind you of any particular aeroplane ? thanks for these wonderful links to a superb design.

A

AerynPk

thoose are truly amazing. it is a shame that they never fly for a long time like most planes really

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

More Bugatti info

Sorry I got evicted from the key board before I could finish my post :lame:

Traplet do a plan for a 100mph 1/5 scale 64inch span glow version,,featured in RCMW feb 06 item MW 3184.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413861&highlight=bugatti

Electric offers the posibility of contra props as per the original and keepsa it clean.

According to the article in the mag the race car 50b engines and airframe were hidden from the Germans and the Americans.........not really showing up till the 70s having changed hands in the 50s.

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Bugatti%20Model%20100%20Racer.asp

They also I believe somehow managed to hide one or more of the giant Latecoer 631 Flyingboats for a time ...which are considerably larger from the germans.......but I need to check that.

the actual

http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/rcstuff/bugattiinfo.html

models

http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/rcstuff/bugatti.html http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/rcstuff/bugatti2.html

Last edited:
T

tigertc

WOW....An awesome RC model from an awesome design...thanks for the link dude!