Different kind of Sukhoi

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Last weekend, I visited a modelling competition and just couldn't resist my urge to buy some models on the market. You probably know the feeling when you just take a look at the selection of kits, not having any intention to buy anything and the next second hauling a pile of boxes into your car :D something like that happened and here we are.

I know most of you find airliners boring but I find the Sukhoi SuperJet 100, the newest Russian airliner, quite beautiful.

I will build this aircraft in the markings of prototype number 97004. Unfortunately this aircraft crashed in Indonesia on 9th May so this will be sort of a commemorating build. As there are no aftermarket decals available for this aircraft, I will design them myself and get them printed with ALPS printer.

Here's a photo of this aircraft I took last year at MAKS in Zhukovski

other photos here: MAKS2011 – Airliners « VVS Photography

Expect in progress photos soon.

First Name
Dave
Nice to see an airliner being built for a change.I look forwards to seeing this build progress.

C

Caledonia

Not boring at all Seb, Never made one, but I would think achieving the immaculate paint job civilian aircraft have will be a challenge for anyone. Look forward to seeing the finished aircraft. Cheers Derek

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
thanks guys! I hope I will be able to present this build to you in such a way, to generate some love towards airliner modelling as well ;)

First thing to do was make a decals draft. For this task I am using Corel Draw vector graphics software. As the reference, I am using one of my hi-res photos from last years MAKS.

When I am finished drawing, I print the artwork on plain paper...

...cut and trim them and attach them to the plastic with Scotch Magic tape.

It is not a fast process but doing it this way, you can still determine the right size of the decals rather quickly.

I was thinking of sending the artwork to be printed on ALPS but have since started to play with the idea of masking the tail logo and printing other decals with my inkjet.

Until the next time! :beer2:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very interesting to see an airliner, and a Russian one at that. The decals look good. Look forward to seeing your progress reports Seb.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
thanks Joe!

The fit of parts is almost perfect, especially the wing to fuselage join. Unfortunately as with all airliners, there's a long seam running through the entire length of the fuselage that needs to be taken care of. Primer shows some more work will be required in that area.

I like it how Zvezda makes front of the engine from one piece thus eliminating the need to sand seams inside the intakes - quite a tedious job in this scale. Turbine face was painted with Alclad White Aluminium, followed by a coat of Future and a wash made of Payne's Grey artist oil to emphisaze the shadows between turbine blades.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Some people asked me how big this aircraft is - here's a comparison shot with my other Sukhoi project

And the aircraft got some white on

Now I'm in for the hard part - masking the cheat lines. Wish me luck - I know I'm gonna need it! :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good progress Seb, this is going to look fabulous.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Thanks Joe!

ok the first part is done... I'm quite satisfied with the result, but some touch-ups will be made additionaly.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
A little touch ups are needed but nothing drastic. I'm happy how all the masking turned out! :cheers:

C

Caledonia

Hi Seb, Coming along very nicely, hope this sparks a few more civil builds. Like your other Sukhoi project, love the Flankers. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice paint seb , its going to look great, cheers tony

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
a little more progress - touchups to do paintjob, engines added, antennas added (some scratch), vortex generators added (Zvezda forgot to include them),... I think it's ready for some gloss coating.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Thanks guys!

Just a small update this time. I've used Alclad Aqua Gloss for the first time and despite its price, this is going to be my gloss coat of choice for future projects. Just two layers and it shines like a plastic toy from Hong Kong.