Diorama help needed.

P

PirateOneOne

Hi, am hoping to find some advice on a first time diorama, I have a completed 1:144 US AH64D Longbow, with two more in the works, and I'm hoping to create a hardtop combat situated rearming and mechanics bay, involving sandbags, fuel barrels, pallets ect. I'd like to use all three aircraft, as the first isn't as clean as I'd like it to be so will probably be either a crash piece, or undergoing some kind of repairs. Am hoping for some advice on aircraft placement, or if someone's got photos or places I could look for some, that would be most appreciated!

Xh

Cheers, Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Steve.

First off is the size of board you want to. Take into account the amount of aircraft, size and then factor in the ground items, crew etc. Next is to play around with positioning, you do not want it too overcrowded or too big that they are lost. Now look at some airports/military landing strips etc, they are mostly the same and will be on tarmac with markings, planes will be in a certain area and the helo in another.

Si:smiling3:

P

PirateOneOne

Thanks Si, have decided on two aircraft, placed on two boards glued together, 4 by 6 inches.

The two bays will be separated by a chainmesh fence, the spatter guards others have suggested are to be used for that. Do you have any suggestions for sensible scale fence posts?

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You could use cocktail sticks, just cut down and sand slightly if too fat.

P

PirateOneOne

That would work as I'm going to build a sandbag base around the posts. I've been working on my sandbag scale, now I just need to work up the courage to attempt paint mixing ect for colour.

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A good reference is Google Images. If you haven't got any yet, ebay do some great scale real metal mesh. It would be spot on for your diorama fencing......A better bet still is to get to a 'Pound Shop' and buy a couple of cheapo splatter guards. The things you cover sausages with during cooking!

A belated welcome too Steve!

Cheers,

Ron

P

PirateOneOne

Cheers Ron, had taken note of the spatter guards, and thank you for the welcome!

I checked your Zulu dio this morning and was both suitably inspires and amazed!

Look forward to hearing and heeding your much needed advice.

Steve

D

dubster72

Another Poundshop goodie is some strange fabric they sell for kids craftmaking - it makes very good grilles etc. I've got some at home, so I can post a picture later if that might help. The weave is much finer than a splatter guard.

Cheers

Patrick

P

PirateOneOne

Cheers Patrick, that sounds great, I'd love to see some for reference, at the small scale I'm working at, I think the finer the mesh the better.

Steve

D

dubster72

\ said:
Cheers Patrick, that sounds great, I'd love to see some for reference, at the small scale I'm working at, I think the finer the mesh the better.Steve
This is the stuff Steve. As you can see, the mesh is very small.... I've just realised that there's nothing to give it a sense of scale! From measuring it, a millimeter is 3 of the mesh squares - hope that makes sense!

View attachment 98979

View attachment 98980

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0004.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I thought they read Orgazma strips Patrick...get ya glasses on Si. Nice one though, like the look of those and as you say fine too.

P

PirateOneOne

Yeah, that looks great! I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers Steve

D

dubster72

\ said:
I thought they read Orgazma strips Patrick...get ya glasses on Si. Nice one though, like the look of those and as you say fine too.Si:smiling3:
Oh god Si ! If they did, SWMBO would buy a few! ;)

Also, if you tease out individual strands, they make great antennae wire! Being plastic they stretch a bit & if it's too loose, a hot nail or soldering iron tightens it up nicely.