Disaster

F

First Model

Today I thought I would carry on with per shading the panel lines on my haribo plane. However I dropped the AB and this resulted in a slightly bent needle and a bent nozzle.

Luckily I managed to wet sand the bent piece from the needle,but this left me with the bent nozzle. I had a spare one from an AB I had years ago and pieces were missing.

Now the painting is not great due to the damage but is acceptable for per shading t the moment. I am now debating whether to bite the bullet and buy a decent AB rather than source replacement parts for this cheap AB as it came with the compressor.

What are your thoughts on this and do you have any recommendations for a better AB?

View attachment 71271

View attachment 71272

image.jpg

image.jpg

T

tecdes

Me I would go for a good airbrush. Last you for ever & you can source replacement parts within a day or so. Results are better as have experienced.

Cost a bit more but then how much do you pay out each year for models. Although a good airbrush does not guarantee results in its self it is part of the picture in the determination to produce good models. A good airbrush for which you can get spares will last for ever. Some have good add ons to restrict paint flow, small & large cups, caps on the cups & easily washable. Also good airbrushes have seals which can take most types of thinners.

Laurie

F

First Model

Laurier,

As always you are more than helpful. I am trying to weigh up the idea of purchasing spares and a new regulator as my current set does not have one. This comes to around £20-£25 but as I mentioned before my compressor is not great and is leaking.

I am now looking at purchasing a dual piston pump with a tank like the AB-AS196A model and then a decent airbrush.

In your opinion, worth it or a waste of money?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got one of those compressors (or one that looks a lot like it) under my bench. It has worked well for at least a couple of years and given me no trouble at all.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi lee , I agree with you about the comp, its better putting the £25 towards a new one with a regulator , a good compressor is very important . As for the airbrush , if youre still strapped after splashing out on the comp then you can get a cheapie to get you back into it , maybe getting a more expensive one later . I personally use cheap chinese airbrushes and have found them perfectly adequate for my needs , if you need any links to e-bay sellers let me know , you should be able to get a nice one for well under £20 . BTW , welcome to the forum ! cheers tony

T

tecdes

Like Steve I have the same compressor. In fact I went by his recommendation some time back. Has a double piston as you have said. If you wanted to save a little towards a better airbrush you could go to a single piston. But being single piston they probably will not last as long.

If you can I would get a good air brush. I mentioned this above but for got, you may already be aware, I think the best for model work is a dual action with gravity feed. Again putting my own views who else's would I put. What I mean by that is it is all very personal like choosing a car. Also I would go for a Harder & Steenbeck or an Iwata (Scale Model Shop sell these). I use Harder & Steenbeck but my boys & girls have bought me for my birthday an Iwata Eclipse HC CS. Going to test this in the next day or so against a Harder & Steenbeck.

My god I will be airbrushing with a Harder & Steenbeck in one hand and an Iwata in the other. I shall be turning models out as if on a production line !

Laurie