DKM Scharnhorst 1943 - 1/350 Dragon Kit + extras

C

Caledonia

\ said:
That pe looks scarly small.
And i was going to get some for my bismarck and if its that small i will give it a miss i shall keep a watch for any tips
Don't be put off by this build, the PE for my KGV build was not nearly as bad. Gold Medal Models PE is excellent if you can get it. Derek

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
very nice but i would not attempt that small need good eye sight for detail work keep up dating us all

:cool:

L

Lance B

Seeing as I'm also about to build this beauty and it's my first model in a hundred years, what sort of paints are you using, Derek? Enamel or acrylic? What brand? What colours? painting or airbrushimg?

L

Lance B

\ said:
Don't be put off by this build, the PE for my KGV build was not nearly as bad. Gold Medal Models PE is excellent if you can get it. Derek
I am trying to get the PE upgrade kit for the Scharnhorst, Dragon number DRA-1010 which include the railings etc. Do you know where I can get them? Or does some one else make a version that is comparable?

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Seeing as I'm also about to build this beauty and it's my first model in a hundred years, what sort of paints are you using, Derek? Enamel or acrylic? What brand? What colours? painting or airbrushimg?
Hi Lance,

I will be using Lifecolor acrylic, the paint set shown in the website below. This company does International postings. I will be using airbrush and hand brush, also I use Tamiya aerosol primer for acrylics, light grey, and Humbrol aerosol acrylic satin varnish. The Lifecolor is a non toxic no smell paint which is excellent for hand and airbrush, used it for years.

Hope this helps. Derek

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2844

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I am trying to get the PE upgrade kit for the Scharnhorst, Dragon number DRA-1010 which include the railings etc. Do you know where I can get them? Or does some one else make a version that is comparable?
Hi Lance, I think they will be very hard to get, you may be lucky on eBay. The sets I identified earlier, both companies ship internationally. Derek

P.S. Check your code DRA1010 appears to be a submarine kit, but I know the one you meant.

Last edited:
L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi Lance, I think they will be very hard to get, you may be lucky on eBay. The sets I identified earlier, both companies ship internationally. Derek
P.S. Check your code DRA1010 appears to be a submarine kit, but I know the one you meant.
Oops, that was a typo. I meant DRA-1040. :oops:

Thanks for the help. Are the Flyhawk 1/350 FH350068 German Scharnhorst for Dragon the right type - see below? I know I will be doubling up on many bits, but I can't seem to locate the original Dragon version. However, I have put out a few feelers with so called Dragon distributors. This is a lot of money, but it's the only one I can find that may fit the bill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyhawk-1-350-FH350068-German-Scharnhorst-for-Dragon-/261682906649?hash=item3ced844619

Last edited:
L

Lance B

\ said:
Hi Lance,
I will be using Lifecolor acrylic, the paint set shown in the website below. This company does International postings. I will be using airbrush and hand brush, also I use Tamiya aerosol primer for acrylics, light grey, and Humbrol aerosol acrylic satin varnish. The Lifecolor is a non toxic no smell paint which is excellent for hand and airbrush, used it for years.

Hope this helps. Derek

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2844
Firstly, Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day!

Thank you once again for your invaluable info, Derek! Is there a reason for acrylic? it seems like a lot of work if you need to use a primer whereas an enamel would not? I guess I am a little concerned never having used acrylics on models before.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Oops, that was a typo. I meant DRA-1404. :oops:
Thanks for the help. Are the Flyhawk 1/350 FH350068 German Scharnhorst for Dragon the right type - see below? I know I will be doubling up on many bits, but I can't seem to locate the original Dragon version. However, I have put out a few feelers with so called Dragon distributors. This is a lot of money, but it's the only one I can find that may fit the bill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flyhawk-1-350-FH350068-German-Scharnhorst-for-Dragon-/261682906649?hash=item3ced844619
I don't think the Flyhawk includes a wooden deck, but maybe you don't want this anyway. Personally I prefer the MK 1 set which I am using. Derek

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Finally got the 10 off 2cm Single Barrel Flak Guns finished.
View attachment 130258

Points to note: -

1) The only company I found who could do the 2cm barrels was Aber Models Poland, there may be others I don't know about.

2) Instructions say to drill 0.3mm holes for the Barrels, I found 0.4mm holes necessary.

3) The Gun Sight and Elevator Wheel PE in the Dragon kit I found to be undersized, so I used the Gold Medal ones from my spares box.

Moving onto the 2cm Quad Flak Guns. Derek
They look superb.........I need to watch the rest of this build.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Firstly, Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day!
Thank you once again for your invaluable info, Derek! Is there a reason for acrylic? it seems like a lot of work if you need to use a primer whereas an enamel would not? I guess I am a little concerned never having used acrylics on models before.
Thanks for the birthday greeting Lance.

On the matter of paint ask 12 modellers their preference and you will get 12 different answers. If you prefer enamel, then stick to It, personally I don't like the smell, the mess when cleaning up and the slower drying time. WEM White Ensign Models do an excellent enamel range for maritime subjects. When I used enamel, I still used the same primer, better paint adhesion. Derek

http://www.steelnavy.com/wem_colourcoats.htm

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/wem-paints/naval-colours/for-kriegsmarine

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Incredible so far Derek.

You must have bloody good binoculars or bionic eye sight :D

Lee :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
I don't think the Flyhawk includes a wooden deck, but maybe you don't want this anyway. Personally I prefer the MK 1 set which I am using. Derek
I have purchased a wooden deck, made by Hunter. Looks pretty good. :smiling3:

L

Lance B

\ said:
Thanks for the birthday greeting Lance.
On the matter of paint ask 12 modellers their preference and you will get 12 different answers. If you prefer enamel, then stick to It, personally I don't like the smell, the mess when cleaning up and the slower drying time. WEM White Ensign Models do an excellent enamel range for maritime subjects. When I used enamel, I still used the same primer, better paint adhesion. Derek

http://www.steelnavy.com/wem_colourcoats.htm

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/wem-paints/naval-colours/for-kriegsmarine
Thank you for the info. :smiling3:

G

Graham D

\ said:
I have purchased a wooden deck, made by Hunter. Looks pretty good. :smiling3:
I use the Hunter decks on my builds. They are quite thin, making it a bit tricky to get them off the backing. When they are stuck they look good.

C

Caledonia

Here are the 10.5cm Twin Anti-Aircraft Guns. Each gun comprised of 7 off Pieces. I used the Kit Barrels, as the brass ones were of negligible benefit in my view. Rather than juggle two barrels and a base, I found cementing B3 to B7: B4 to B8 etc, then cementing B3 to B4 etc. and presenting up this 4 piece sub-assembly to the base an easier option and made easier the fitting of the barrels parallel.

Last photo shows the 10 off 2cm Single Barrel Flak Guns, the 5 off 2 cm Quad Barrel Flak Guns and the 7 off 10.5cm Anti Aircraft Guns mounted on scrap card ready for priming, but I will continue the Gun assemblies so that the card is full. Derek

View attachment 119594

View attachment 119595

View attachment 119596

B007.jpg

B008.jpg

B009.jpg

L

Lance B

Thank you very much for the updates, Derek!

I have just received my 1/350 scale Dragon Scharnhorst in the post today! As I have not built a model in over 40 years, your stage by stage photos are very informative, but I am going to wait until I get my Flyhawk photo etch kit as well before I start.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
holy tinny testicles you have my admiration for such working with such little parts

C

Caledonia

There are two of these items, they don't look like guns, wonder if they are fire monitors?

View attachment 120106

There are the 8 off 3.7cm AA guns, each one comprises of 6 plastic parts and 9 PE parts. Careful how you assemble them. To me its not clear how MA10 is assembled, so I used them as quadrants on each gun as the first photo below shows.

View attachment 120107

Cheers Derek

p.s. I understand that the mystery item is a 15cm practice loader used for crew training.

View attachment 120108

View attachment 120109

View attachment 120110

B010.jpg

B014.jpg

B013.jpg

B012.jpg

B011.jpg

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Have moved onto the 15cm Guns. The photos below shows various stages of construction. As the Turret of the Single 15cm Gun is open, I have cut off the breech block of the plastic Barrels which I am not using and used them to fill the void.

View attachment 120187

The next two photos are of the Twin 15cm Guns. The PE ladder comes with the kit, but I have added the handrail (spare from my KGV build) as the last photo for reference shows that handrails were present

I have illustrated how I roll my handrail; I use say a screw driver shaft and an eraser; I apply gentle load to the screw driver as I roll it over the handrail, and repeat until the correct radius is achieved. I then 'butter' the landing area with the 'Rocket Odourless' CA and land the pre-rolled handrail in place.

View attachment 120183

The next photo shows all of the Guns mounted on blue tack ready for priming. This only leaves the three off 28cm Triple Turrets to be done.

View attachment 120184

Derek

View attachment 120185

View attachment 120186

View attachment 120188

IMG_0679.jpg

B019.jpg

B018.jpg

B017.jpg

B016.jpg

B015.jpg

Last edited: