Does anyone have a copy of 'Combat History of schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 654'?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the above book. I'm not looking to buy it, just looking for some information it might contain.

I'm specifically looking for any material on the action around Hill 226 aka Quarry Hill in Normandy, as part of Op Bluecoat in which three Jagdpanthers took out 11 Churchills of the 6th Guards Tank Brigade in a matter of only a few minutes.

Thanks.

Andrew

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew I have a copy, what is it you need to know ?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew I have a copy, what is it you need to know ?

Hi Jim

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you and great news!! You're a very lucky man....that was not a cheap book even when it was in print!

There are plenty of sites out there with information on the action and in terms of the British involvement tell both the unit and squadron.

However, in terms of 654 the most they seem to say is that three tanks from the unit were responsible, plus some HQ vehicles were involved in a later part of the action - a typical example is HERE. The gaps I am looking to close are as follows:
  • Which company's tanks were involved in the skirmish? From what I have read, apparently, the 2nd & 3rd Companies, plus its HQ were in Normandy at the time and at least three tanks was knocked out in the skirmish. I'm sure I have seen somewhere it says 2nd Company tanks were responsible for the near-massacre of the Churchills but I cannot find it again - perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me! At least one wargaming site though does have them marked up as 2nd Company.
  • Camo pattern. A couple of places suggest green blotches/blobs over dunkelgelb, as below. This of course assumes that the photo below is of tanks from the 1st Company of 654 as the website claims. Tanks Encyclopaedia had the same scheme plus some other examples, including a very bold tri-colour scheme but they have recently migrated servers and so the pictures are currently missing.
  • The below photo also shows white numbers and what appear to be white outline balkenkreuz but these are of course from the 1st Company. Was the second company the same - assuming its tanks were responsible!

The reason I am being very picky is that some of my son's tanks for our little battles are from their opponents on the day, the 3rd Tank Battalion (Scots Guards), 6th Guards Tank Brigade and so I want to be able to react the battle as accurately as possible. The build thread is HERE, albeit I have subsequently discovered that the engine deck on the kits is from later versions of the G2 Jagdpanther but it's too late now!

Thank you!

Andrew

full

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jim

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you and great news!! You're a very lucky man....that was not a cheap book even when it was in print!

There are plenty of sites out there with information on the action and in terms of the British involvement tell both the unit and squadron.

However, in terms of 654 the most they seem to say is that three tanks from the unit were responsible, plus some HQ vehicles were involved in a later part of the action - a typical example is HERE. The gaps I am looking to close are as follows:
  • Which company's tanks were involved in the skirmish? From what I have read, apparently, the 2nd & 3rd Companies, plus its HQ were in Normandy at the time and at least three tanks was knocked out in the skirmish. I'm sure I have seen somewhere it says 2nd Company tanks were responsible for the near-massacre of the Churchills but I cannot find it again - perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me! At least one wargaming site though does have them marked up as 2nd Company.
  • Camo pattern. A couple of places suggest green blotches/blobs over dunkelgelb, as below. This of course assumes that the photo below is of tanks from the 1st Company of 654 as the website claims. Tanks Encyclopaedia had the same scheme plus some other examples, including a very bold tri-colour scheme but they have recently migrated servers and so the pictures are currently missing.
  • The below photo also shows white numbers and what appear to be white outline balkenkreuz but these are of course from the 1st Company. Was the second company the same - assuming its tanks were responsible!

The reason I am being very picky is that some of my son's tanks for our little battles are from their opponents on the day, the 3rd Tank Battalion (Scots Guards), 6th Guards Tank Brigade and so I want to be able to react the battle as accurately as possible. The build thread is HERE, albeit I have subsequently discovered that the engine deck on the kits is from later versions of the G2 Jagdpanther but it's too late now!

Thank you!

Andrew

full
Hi Andrew,
I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
regards Jim
By the way I think I paid around £40 for my copy about 7 years ago

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
regards Jim

Thanks so my much Jim. That's a very good price..... May have to keep my eye out for it

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
regards Jim
Hi Jim,

Just wondering if you have had chance to look at the book yet?

Thanks.

Andrew