Douglas A4B

Z

Ziper_it

Dear mates,

as I got stuck shaping the air intake for the Kiowa to look like the real one (now solved) and I got an airbrush that I couldn't use to paint the Kiowa, I decided to buy a small kit where I could test the airbrush.

I was oriented for a plane due to the generous surfaces - good for painting training - compared to an helicopter, so I got the Airfix kit of one of the planes I loved the most when I was young.

Beside reconstructing the cockpit that was totally plain and for which decals were provided and the flaps that I decided to cut and open, the rest of the building was flawless and little or no putty was required.

The model is now painted, some oil wash done, waiting for small retouches and decals. Actually I expected the overall look to be more clean, but few mistakes prevented this (orange peel, not perfectly dried paint meeting my fingertips, canopy masking stripping clear, hidden holes in masking, etc.).

What do you honestly think about it? Does the paint work looks too dirty (overall, wing tips and gear pits)?

View attachment 71756

View attachment 71757

View attachment 71758

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382698514.322900.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382698545.425296.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382698561.009005.jpg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Francesco. I built this kit earlier this year and really enjoyed the experience. You can see it here;

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/finished-ricks-argentine-a4-skyhawk-by-airfix.19261/#post-167645

and here

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/airfix-a4-skyhawk-faf-markings.19027/#post-167437

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks fine to me Francesco , its going to look great with the flaps and slats deployed , looks like youve nothing to worry about with the airbrush , cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you guys, but I had so many problems with it due to inexperience, the worst expecting that airbrushed Gunze would fully cure in one day. You live, you learn.

@Rick, your model is awesome, wish I could get to your level.

Now it's going better, I can thin more the color still keeping good coverage. I've tried to recover some of the mistakes with darkened and lightened base color and been successful. Still have to correct some new added issues (almost invisible spider web and deposit of color in wing tips), things can be noticed when looking very close to the model or viewing its pictures full size.

Overall, if I look the model on the table the effect is very nice so I'm happy for this.

Would you suggest to use some retarder with Gunze?

Can post picture if helpful to get more hints, just let me know.

Francesco

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great result mate. This is a really good little kit from Airfix and you've produced a good model there. I didn't feel confident building the USN version.

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks mates.

But again, a lot of the effect is coming from the picture.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Francesco. I think you're being too harsh on your own work, it looks pretty good to me.

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks Joe.

Yesterday I went to buy some double side tape for a hone repair and found two small photo frames for 2EUR so I bought them.

This morning they were transformed to this

View attachment 72178

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383386507.111795.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great francesco , the base is excellent, cheers tony

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats really nice work of one of my favorite aircraft....always had a thing for Scooters