Douglas Dauntless SBD-3/5 in 1/72 by Airfix

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is a kit I started a while back and put aside when I compared it to the new tool Airfix Zero. Sometimes I get to a point in a build and just stop for a couple of weeks or more, usually because I get distracted by something else. The result is a shelf full of half built kits that I revisit when I feel like it or more often I build a load of kits until I get to the primer/paint stage then blitz a load in a single spraying session. I don't have a permanently set up spray area.

So here's one I started earlier, it will be the USN version with some weathering. I read Mig's shipping effect magazine yesterday and was intrigued by an IJN torpedo bomber with chipped painwork.

So far I have primed this and sprayed it silver then I used "chipping effects" sprayed with an A/B on the centreline and LG area of the underside and along the wing root walkways. I sprayed the underside light grey and it's drying as we speak.

View attachment 81898

View attachment 81899

Rushmoor-20140503-00637.jpg

Rushmoor-20140503-00638.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

I don't know why, but I can never see any of your pictures Rick :sad:

D

dubster72

\ said:
Just click on the blue wording in the box and the pictures come up patrick
I tried that Ian & I only get a blank page - in the post the attachments look like text files.

Maybe its being on my phone that causes it.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I tried the chipping effect solution today with good results that I hope to improve in future builds.

After spaying with aluminium paint I sprayed the chipping effect solution and when dry applied the light grey. When this too is dry I took a small brush moistened with water and applied it over the area I sprayed with the chipping effect. With an old brush with cut down bristles I scrubbed the loosened top coat off to reveal the aluminium underneath. It's not hugely realistic but it definately is worth developing.

Next is the upper surface and we'll see how it works against the darker blue.

The only complaint I would make is the chiiping solution is clear and you can't see it so well against the aluminium paint.

View attachment 81900

Rushmoor-20140505-00648.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Re the pictures, not sure how you are inserting them into your posts Rick but they are around 700kb to 1MB each and slow to load. You can insert the pictures into your posts and they are automatically scaled for the forum. Your Dauntless is looking good though, nice job.

First Name
Dave
Looking good.I can view your photos ok on my iPad and iPhone by the way.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Re the pictures, not sure how you are inserting them into your posts Rick but they are around 700kb to 1MB each and slow to load. You can insert the pictures into your posts and they are automatically scaled for the forum. Your Dauntless is looking good though, nice job.
I add photo's from my Blackberry which is probably why they're so big. I've re-sized them.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
An evening of masking saw the underside covered up ready for the intermediate blue of the upper surfaces. I just have to seal the joins with maskol where required.

View attachment 81925

Rushmoor-20140506-00649.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Don't you just love masking, it's the best. Nice work Rick, thanks for fixing the photos, enjoying watching this build.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My little Dauntless gained a coat of intermediate blue on the upper surfaces. I added a blob of white to the mix after the first coat to make the finish a little more faded, particularly over the fabric covered control surfaces. When dry the chipping medium that I added after the silver undercoat will be removed to (hopefully) create a chipped effect.

View attachment 82052

View attachment 82053

Rushmoor-20140509-00657.jpg

Rushmoor-20140509-00658.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That turned out rather well, you're doing a fine job on this old kit Rick.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicely , with the paint and chipping is fine,

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work. I like seeing these old kits come to life.