Doug's Mk5 ASW Sea King

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well Doug, I've only ever built one helicopter and it wasn't easy. I reckon you've done a more than fine job with this. Glad you enjoyed it and learned from the build. Masking, scratch building, airbrush work, even woolly seat covers - all experience to take you forward. You should be very proud of that model.
Now get that garage sorted and onto the next build.
Thank you Jim for your continued support during the build.
Just waiting for the weather to pull its socks up so I can empty the garage.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well I only came in at the end but I'm really glad I did - that's a superb bit of work Doug, definitely one to be proud of!

Looking forward to the Wasp!
Cheers Arnold, glad you took the time to follow along. I remember only too well what it’s like joining the site. So much to read, follow and trying to get stuck into one’s own build. Thank you.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great job. Always wondered what all that stuff hanging off & sticking out of choppers was for.
Thank you Paul. The important bits are the grab handles in the rear cabin doorway. That are for the back seaters to hold onto when posing for the cameras. Thank you for following along.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And thank you too Rick. For your prompts and timely advice. Even though I had written some notes down I still missed a thing or two. (The sea anchor was a last minute brain phart!!) By the way, did RAF SK's have a sea anchor??
Yes. And it’s a detail missed from my build.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Good looking model with a great attention to detail. You can tell that this is exactly your topic. Well done! :thumb2:
Thank you Andi. I deliberately stuck to builds I was familiar with, as a new returnee for over 4 decades away, I wanted to remain within my comfort zone so that I would stick with the hobby. My thinking being if I wasn't familiar with my chosen kit I may lose interest and forget the whole modelling thing. Thanks again for your comments and support.

That is a cracker Doug. It looks excellent. The detail and finish are very good indeed and the care and effort you have put into the build is top notch.
Add to that, that the model itself looks a great kit to build. From what I have seen on here.
Thank you for looking in and your very kind words. Yes it is a good build, glad Airfix decided to produce the King in 1/48. (Only hope they do the same with the venerable Wasp one day - soon!!!)

Super job Doug!
Steve
Thanks Steve. :thumb2:

YES Doug very well done on this S/K as the guys have said this is one to be proud of what a build my freind BRILLIANT
chrisb
I would say 'pleased' with it Chris. I could pick holes in it but it's the best I could do at this stage of my move to the hobby. Thank you for your support buddy it is most appreciated. Keep up the hard work with the 'Cat'. The SK was a pussy cat compared to the test it is giving you but we all know you'll crack the oversized moggy.

Stunning work doug , a great build lifted by your intimate knowledge and obvious fondness for the subject. All your added details really make a big difference . Fantastic job , looking forward to the helix .
Cheers tony
Thank you Tony. I had to laugh when you said 'fondness' for the subject. The times I cursed them for taking me away from home, giving me a receding hairline an aching posterior and several near heart attacks!! But I would admit to a more than a few unforgettable memories
Fraid the Helix is on hold, the Wasp, another nautical passion took priority and leapfrogged the Russian whirly-gig!!

Well that's brilliant Doug, a really great model. Your attention to detail is admirable, and the extras, added from your insider info, lift it even higher.
Thank you Andy, praise indeed from such an accomplished modeller as yourself. And yes, insider info has helped.

Amazing build, Doug. Your knowledge of the S/K really shines through. Hard to believe you are a relative newby.
Apologies for a lack of comments from me up to now. I have been quietly following from the cheap seats.
John.
John I thank you for your kind comments. As already said, I have been choosing my builds at this embryonic point so that I can utilise my aviation knowledge to help me along. Nowt wrong with the cheap seats. I sit there much of the time a many many builds on here. There is so much good work going on in all genre's.

One to be VERY proud of ,Doug, especially given your professed lack of experience with the medium(I don't think I believe it ,actually)
A thoroughly enjoyable build to follow(and I don't even like helo's....)

Top Job Sir
hello Neil and thank on many levels. Your comments throughout, your help with the airbrush lid - that has helped with spills. Twice now with a nearly full pot of paint I have found my hand at an angle. Without your lids, it would have been disaster. So a big heart felt thanks.

Top work and a very interesting all round thread.

Nice one Doug!
Thank you Ron, glad you found it interesting.

Excellent build choppermeister! Very impressive :thumb2:
Hahaha, thank you Tim. 'choppermeister'. That I will have to remember. I think I'm falling into a bit of a pit of rotor blades. Although I did build a tank and a VW Beetle. But ok, two Sea Kings and a Wasp and Helix helicopter sat in the wings.

Very sorry Mods/Admin for not multi quoting. However, I tried and then it got confusing when a quote from one person was embedded in the middle of a quote from someone else. After a couple of times I surrendered and replied separately.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can only echo what the others have said: a very nice model, and it’s clear you know your stuff when it comes to Sea Kings, which made it all the more enjoyable to follow you build it :smiling3:

As for multi-quoting: just make sure your text insertion point is where you want the new quote to go (like at the very end of the message), and then scroll back up and hit the Reply button of the next message you want to quote.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I can only echo what the others have said: a very nice model, and it’s clear you know your stuff when it comes to Sea Kings, which made it all the more enjoyable to follow you build it :smiling3:

As for multi-quoting: just make sure your text insertion point is where you want the new quote to go (like at the very end of the message), and then scroll back up and hit the Reply button of the next message you want to quote.
Thanks hank you Jakko. Appreciate your help throughout.
As for the multi quote, I do/did exactly as you wrote but for some reason the inserted quote doesn't insert itself where the cursor was! Used to work every time. I can insert two, sometimes three with no problem then the next quote does its own thing. It looks messy and confusing.
My fault for not keeping up with the posts but have had a problem with my neck today making life a bit uncomfortable. Lucky I finished the King yesterday as it wouldn't have been completed today.

You've got a Waspie hidden in there ... ?
We do indeed!!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As for the multi quote, I do/did exactly as you wrote but for some reason the inserted quote doesn't insert itself where the cursor was!
There is also the +Quote button: when you read a thread, click that for all posts you want to reply to, and when you get to the bottom, there will be a button Insert quotes below the reply field. Click that, then optionally put the quotes into the order you want them, and click Quote messages to get them all into the reply in one go.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Well you got there.... and it was all worth it..
I managed a look through the instructions (aka Scalemates) to see if they in fact supply the rotors folded, and you have done a lot more than just a few additions, so take the credits and take a bow - well done in producing a good kit into a museum standard model.
Mike

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
There is also the +Quote button: when you read a thread, click that for all posts you want to reply to, and when you get to the bottom, there will be a button Insert quotes below the reply field. Click that, then optionally put the quotes into the order you want them, and click Quote messages to get them all into the reply in one go.
Wasn’t aware of the all messages feature. I’ll give that a go next time. :thumb2: