Drying time between coats when spraying humbrol / revel gloss enamel in an airbrush

A

alan2525

What's the drying time between coats when spraying humbrol / revel gloss enamel in an airbrush.

Normally car spray paints are applied when the previous coat is still a little tacky to ensure the subsequent coats of paint adhere to it. What sort of time should be allowed when airbrushing enamel and how do you help to speed up this process?

I'm painting a model loco cab it's made from brass, has been abraded with wet and dry, cleaned up with steel wool, degreased and primed with a grey etch primer.

R

radish1us

\ said:
What's the drying time between coats when spraying humbrol / revel gloss enamel in an airbrush.Normally car spray paints are applied when the previous coat is still a little tacky to ensure the subsequent coats of paint adhere to it. What sort of time should be allowed when airbrushing enamel and how do you help to speed up this process?

I'm painting a model loco cab it's made from brass, has been abraded with wet and dry, cleaned up with steel wool, degreased and primed with a grey etch primer.
Hhmm, nobody has answered this one for some strange unknown reason.

Enamel paints normally require that the coat of paint be DRY before you hit it again.

This could be anywhere from six to twenty-four hours, depends on the brand of paint used, thinners used and drying conditions, lots of variables here.

I generally leave a few days between the different coats of enamel, this is to make sure that the coat of paint IS DRY, others might do it differently.

regards radish

A

Aquarama

\ said:
What's the drying time between coats when spraying humbrol / revel gloss enamel in an airbrush.Normally car spray paints are applied when the previous coat is still a little tacky to ensure the subsequent coats of paint adhere to it. What sort of time should be allowed when airbrushing enamel and how do you help to speed up this process?

Hi Alan, enamel should be dry (app 48 hrs.) at room temp, the thing to watch out for is the acid etch primer, many have an active life after aplication some as little as 12 hrs. after that the bonding ablity falls away regards, Vic