Dust

R

Robert Imrie

Hi all. Can anyone tell me how to clean up the dust which has gathered on my model? Can I place it in a basin of cold water?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert Imrie

D

dubster72

Depends on how much dust there is Robert. If it's just a little & you possess an airbrush, I'd say give it a blast coz that's how I tidy my ones up (all 2 of 'em!) but I'd not recommend dunking them for fear of damaging the paint. Perhaps a few moist cotton-buds would work. Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi robert , as patrick says i wouldnt recommend dunking them,blow them with the airbrush if its not too thick.I try to keep all my completed ones in a cabinet with the doors closed to keep the dust level down,but even so a bit still creeps in.What i use is one of the big soft make up brushes,the type used for putting on blusher etc ,these are soft enough to get rid of light dust but not to knock off any delicate bits.If the dust is a bit more stubborn you could dampen the brush to help lift it and wash it out and dry it after. hope this helps cheers tony :plane:

R

Robert Imrie

Thanks Tony. Off to check if the other half has one of the brushes.

Cheers

Robert

\ said:
hi robert , as patrick says i wouldnt recommend dunking them,blow them with the airbrush if its not too thick.I try to keep all my completed ones in a cabinet with the doors closed to keep the dust level down,but even so a bit still creeps in.What i use is one of the big soft make up brushes,the type used for putting on blusher etc ,these are soft enough to get rid of light dust but not to knock off any delicate bits.If the dust is a bit more stubborn you could dampen the brush to help lift it and wash it out and dry it after. hope this helps cheers tony :plane:

R

Robert Imrie

Thanks Patrick

\ said:
Depends on how much dust there is Robert. If it's just a little & you possess an airbrush, I'd say give it a blast coz that's how I tidy my ones up (all 2 of 'em!) but I'd not recommend dunking them for fear of damaging the paint. Perhaps a few moist cotton-buds would work. Patrick

M

Mighty Finn

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't dunk it. Airbrush blasts are just the job. For more stuborn dust a puffer brush is the next step and if all else fails it's time for the cotton buds with a mild washing up liquid solution but test in first before applying to a visable area just to make sure you have the solution right

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I read this thread last night and agreed, I wouldn't dunk a model. This morning I've taken an old "experimenter" with its odd paint and decals in strange places, given it ten minutes in some barely luke warm,mildly soapy water and pulled it out. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the paint (acrylic) or the areas of original varnish,which was a silk coat but I'm not sure which.

It's certainly a lot cleaner!

Maybe it is possible as a last resort but as someone else said test first.

My favourite duster is a blusher brush as per Tony's tip,just don't nick SWMBO's favourite unless you want to develop a sudden limp!

Steve

R

Robert Imrie

Thanks Mighty

\ said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't dunk it. Airbrush blasts are just the job. For more stuborn dust a puffer brush is the next step and if all else fails it's time for the cotton buds with a mild washing up liquid solution but test in first before applying to a visable area just to make sure you have the solution right

R

Robert Imrie

Thanks Stona. Think i'll stay away from dunking it.

\ said:
I read this thread last night and agreed, I wouldn't dunk a model. This morning I've taken an old "experimenter" with its odd paint and decals in strange places, given it ten minutes in some barely luke warm,mildly soapy water and pulled it out. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the paint (acrylic) or the areas of original varnish,which was a silk coat but I'm not sure which.It's certainly a lot cleaner!

Maybe it is possible as a last resort but as someone else said test first.

My favourite duster is a blusher brush as per Tony's tip,just don't nick SWMBO's favourite unless you want to develop a sudden limp!

Steve