dusting powder

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi all i looking into trying dusting powders, or is that what there called, ? :confused:

as i have seen quite a few off you starting to use then,

just wondering which brands are the the better ones to try out and are they pigment powder

or dusting powders sorry for being a noob :oops:

any help greatly appreciated

D

dubster72

This depends on either your budget or whether you believe in marketing hype Monica.

Some people swear by pigment powers such as sold by Mig or AZ Interactive. Personally, I use basic coloured pastel sticks that can be bought from art shops or stationary outlets.

Over in the uk we have a chains of shops called Rymans & they do a nice set for just £3.99.

I grind mine up using a mortar & pestle, apply them either direct to the model using a fingertip / cotton bud or as a wash with white spirit.

Cheers

Patrick

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive used several of the MiG ones...simply cos they were all i could get at the time....and they work great...........just started playing around with the new Humbrol ones and they are pretty much identical to MiG

First Name
Gregg
My wife's cosmetic make-up powders work just fine for me.

Confuses the heck out of her when her beauty routine results in blotchy patches though.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use the ones from Vallejo, simply because they are available and I am happy with their other products.

Just remember it is easier to add more than it is to remove to much...

A light hand and watch the effect build up.

You can in fact airbrush them on as well...Good for control and build up. Just not in to fine an airbrush.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you all,

you know Patrick i did not think off using pastel sticks, I do have some i use for the horses, :rolleyes:

i can give a try,

you know Gregg i did not think off that using my powers i have, for makeup as well,but shave it off the top not poke holes in it ;)

i real do like the Vallejo ,paints i have Ian as well , but a bit hard for me to get, I think some off the other brands mite be in the hobby shop not

to sure on that one, will have to look into it ta, :D

so to apply you just use a mix off water and PVA glue and paint were you wont it is that right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gregg
I wasn't jesting to be honest.

There are certain blusher shades she uses that have very subtle tones, I have also bought some blusher brushes & sponges to use with them.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Gregg, i know ,because when you look at some shades of power, and blush and even eye shadows have some great colors, and even for use with models,

buy from the pond shop ,don,t use the real good ones,

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh dont use PVA to thick and also dries with a shine.... Been there done that.

I normally use matt varnish, thinned so it dries slower and sprinkle it on. when I want a thick cover, I mix it up with the varnish and paint it on....or spray it on with an airbrush.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you Ian, you have saved me a few times, lately :D , will remember that ta,

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I forgot to say if you only want a light dusting, you can often get away with brushing it on dry. It settles in the rough surface of matt paint and in all the corners and dents. A careful light coat of mat varnish will lock it down. Just mind you do not blow it all away!

Ian M

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
one method i have used often is to make a slurry wash with the pigment and water, brush it on sparingly ( a little goes a long way)...let it dry really well then use a stiff brush to brush it off.....you will find there will be dust in the nooks and crannies and if you dont do it too hard theres a 'ghosting' of the dust where you put it on

C

Caledonia

One point to bear in mind Monica is are you going to varnish the finished item?, the reason I mention this is I have seen some weathering powders become almost invisible if varnished. Suggest you do a test before you start. Cheers Derek

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I use Mig weathering pigments on plastic kits, railway rolling stock and buildings. In most cases I apply the pigments with a dry flat brush using a size appropriate to the model scale. If it is too heavy a light sweep with a large brush gets any loose powder away or a scrub with an old tooth brush can be used; I find this very effective on the body sides of loco's where streaking dirt appears. Using different colours varies the tone.

When I am happy with the finish I use Mig pigment fixer in an AB at 10psi to seal the finished weathering.

Another method I use for bogie side frames on larger scale loco's is to apply the pigment dry then with a brush wetted with fixer, push the powder into any nooks and crannies. This is also good for creating a crusty looking layer of dirt.

See my gallery pictures of an O gauge Hymek diesel hydraulic loco I did using these methods. This is a method I learned from an article that a plastic kit builder did for Model Rail magazine a couple of years ago. Have a look at my website for my description of how I did it - http://www.rickysrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/heljan-o-gauge-hymek.html?m=1

I sealed the completed model with matt varnish and have no problems with the weathering being hidden.

Good luck.

First Name
Adrian
I use MIG powders and the MIG Fixer, I also use pastels. Both give great results and like others have said start off with small coverings and build them up, when you think you've done enough leave it and come back a day later to have a fresh pair of eyes on your build.

Adrian

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you all,

that way you said Ian would be good for the upper hull and the hood ,to give the worn look, with some chipping :rolleyes:

and the slurry mix Paul is great for the tracks and lower hell ,under the mud guards,

you know Derek i don't not even have a varnish, some think i should have at this stage,

just had a look at your site Rick, and did find it off use thank you so much all helps were leaning some think new,

you know Adrian , that can not be more right,to look at what you are making on diffidence days, as you get tunnel vision , with your work and need to refresh yourself,

i have read a bit off what has been posted ;)

but i think it is diffidence in Aust than what you guys get in the UK ? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noble

\ said:
thank you all,that way you said Ian would be good for the upper hull and the hood ,to give the worn look, with some chipping :rolleyes:

and the slurry mix Paul is great for the tracks and lower hell ,under the mud guards,

you know Derek i don't not even have a varnish, some think i should have at this stage,

just had a look at your site Rick, and did find it off use thank you so much all helps were leaning some think new,

you know Adrian , that can not be more right,to look at what you are making on diffidence days, as you get tunnel vision , with your work and need to refresh yourself,

i have read a bit off what has been posted ;)

but i think it is diffidence in Aust than what you guys get in the UK ? o_O

N

noble

Hi Monica iam a little late in replying, but I use Humbrol powders and artist pastel chalks now if you want value for money the chalks are much better value, they will last you much longer and you get lots in the box.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm with Patrick and Scott all the way.......Cheap pound shop artist's pastels every time, and every bit as good as the big money products + I get me some beer tokens to boot!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Lol I also am thinking of getting powders... Never invested in them due to the pricey costs and my favouring of aircraft. Need some of this for the treads for my aircraft as well.

John