E.E. Lightning F6 - 1/48 Airfix

C

Caledonia

Was planning to do a 1/72 Tomcat next, but ever since this box was delivered it has been screeming at me 'BUILD ME' so I am. One of my most expensive purchases when you add the Flightpath extras and the True Details Resin Cockpit. An old kit so should be a challenge. My favourite aircraft of all time. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28798

View attachment 28799

View attachment 28800

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi derek , its not too old and is actually a very nice kit, ive got one in the stash.I think its regarded as one of airfix's best kits, i would recommend getting hold of the SAM publications modellers datafile book ,its full of good photos of the important areas like cockpit and wheel wells etc.Looking at the decals id say youre planning a natural metal finish , my finish of choice for this fantastic machine, the only trouble is i darent do mine for fear of cocking it up ,so its going to stay in the stash until i build up enough courage to try alclad!! , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If it's anything like your Tonka Derek then it'll be fantastic

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Derek. Now I will be able to get loads of tips and inspiration for when I start on my ones!!!

What do you think if the Flight path set, Any chance of a few closer pictures? I think for mine I will be getting hold of the Aires stuff, but that etch does look good!

I too have hear that the kit in its self is a great kit one of if not the best Airfix ever made.

Funny though, I was expecting you to do another Brick first...

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your interest chaps, Ian, I have attached below some close-up shots of the Flight Path gear, also the Xtradecal I bought as I am doing the 23 Sqd based at Leuchars at the end of the 1960's. In the cockpit I am going to do a mix and match, the True Details resin instrument panel isn't a patch on the Flight Path photo etch and film.

Tony, when I bought the kit I had in mind to do the grey/green camo but even it has a bare metal underbelly. I would really like to do an all metal Lightning but getting the colour and the patch work effect is very difficult. I have scanned and posted some photos I took in 1967/8 of the Lightning into the reference section forum for you and Ian's benefit, I can post blow-ups if you want anything special. When I was doing my F-16 I had to use some Tamiya Titanium Silver X-32 (hand brushed) and to me it is almost grainless and looks very like aluminium to scale. So I am going to put some through an airbrush to see how it looks, and play with masking off and adding Tamiya Smoke also black to see how it looks before I decide. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 28947

View attachment 28948

View attachment 28949

View attachment 28950

View attachment 28951

View attachment 28952

View attachment 28953

View attachment 28954

View attachment 28955

View attachment 28956

View attachment 28957

View attachment 28958

View attachment 28959

View attachment 28960

View attachment 28961

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

F

Fenlander

I believe someone does a metal nose ring for this kit which helps with the weight needed to prevent a tail sitter. As Tony has said, it is regarded by some to be Airfix's finest kit. It ust be good for Eduard to re box it as one of theirs, maybe a different Mk but most of the mouldings are the same, a classic kit well worth taking time and some investment in getting right, very impressive finished item.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for that last post Derek. Looks like Mr. Parkins will be getting yet more of my hard ernt!

I am deeply envious of you for actually having the privilage of standing so close to and watching these Thunder machines in action. (and having the foresight of taking some photos for future referance :laughing: )

Graham the nose cone in the Flight path set is solid metal so that helps a bit. Now I know that you can in England buy some metal allow that melts in hot water and is reasonably heavy. I just cant remember what its called! I belive smiths use it for bending fine tube and the such. (Fill tube, bend, warm tube up pour metal out. stops it deforming, the tube that is).

C

Caledonia

Hi Chaps, not a lot of progress to report, the 'True Details' Resin Cockpit on closer inspection was a big disappointment, poor casting definition and at the edge details the resin had not flowed into the edges properly, so I ordered a Neomega Resin one over 2 weeks ago and am waiting delivery, probably held up with all the snow we have had. I have the Neomega Resin cockpit for my future 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer, and they have excellent detail.

One bit of progress is that after some trials I have decided to attempt the Bare Metal Finish using silver leaf 'Rub 'n Buff' never used it before, but have been trialing it on scrap plastic and the finish looks good.

Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to hear about that cockpit, its a shame when you get one like that. Have you considered contacting the makers and telling them you got a duff one, they might just send a new one.

So Rub'n'buf silver leaf. Whats that like. Any chance of some snaps of the test bits. And how you use it!?

I keep looking at mine and thinking about getting stuck in. I really want to hold out and get the detail sets for them, however, I cant keep knicking the wifes PC and I will have to get an new one after Christmas, so...... not yet.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, Will just put the True Resin down to experience. Re the Rub n Buff, this is the stuff.

Craft Materials - Rub n Buff Wax Metallic Finish - ArtiFolk for Great Value Arts and Crafts

I came across this guys 1/32 Lightning and was blown away with the finish using Rub n Buff.

BAC Lightning F6 23eme squadron trumpeter 1/32

The text does not tell you anything about the application, but contains the following story, which I had never heard before.

'during a NATO exercise, a mock interception of a British Airways Concorde was launched in the middle Atlantic Mach2, set to take everything a squad of interceptors, F15, F16 and others, and only managed to catch a lightning and consistent and this has exceeded 2 years of his retirement' - this is a google translation so it's a bit ropy, but you get the idea.

Will give some detail on the Rub n Buff application once I get started. Cheers Derek

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Rub'n'buff looks like it might be fun!

The lightning on that French forum is rather good ;)

Hope all is well

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, just received the Neomega Resin cockpit this morning, very pleased with it, the shot below shows the difference with the True Detail on the seat and instrument panel.

Still doing hospital visits as much as the weather allows, and clearing snow, so not much time for modelling. Put a new blade in my X-Acto knife today so maybe my brain is telling me to get started. Hope you and your family have a great x-mas with lots of plastic thingy's to glue. Cheers Derek

View attachment 29774

RSCN2390.jpg

RSCN2390.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

To be honest Derek if I had recieved a resin aftermarket part like that instrument panel I would at least be asking for a replacement and if the next one is the same I would want my money back. The whole idea of resin aftermarket parts is that they are supposed to be a significant improvement over the kit parts. They are so poor as to be unuseable and therefore a waste of money. The manufacturer should at least be given the opportunity to replace them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I agree with Richard on that one. In my little world that is unfit for purpose and the makers would be told in rather clear terms!!!! They (all the "hobby factories") are normally good with such things. I even confessed to making a total pigs ear out of cutting a part from the block and the chap sent me a new one free and gratis! Great service.

Those new ones from Neomega look rather tasty. I hope to get the detail sets for mine as a X-mas gift. We'll see.

Hope you have a great Christmas and Happy Hogmanay!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Finally got some time to get back to my modelling, I appreciate what you guy's are saying but I bought the True Detail from Hannant - have you ever tried to get a reply from them on any subject - blood out of a stone springs to mind.

The Radome/Air intake central section fitted well together as you can see, the dimple in the moulding won't be seen when fitted. The outer casing of the air intake was another matter; the rear end was matched up as the engine intake bulkhead had to fit properly, photo B2 shows the miss-match at the other end. This was easily remedied by using plastic weld, and cementing roughly 5mm of the edges at a time, see photo B3.

I cannot praise the Neomega cockpit highly enough, the detail they managed to squeeze into a tiny moulding is amazing, see photo 4. Finally have painted the cockpit tub, and it is shown during a dry fit-up check.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 30211

View attachment 30212

View attachment 30213

View attachment 30214

View attachment 30215

View attachment 30216

B1.JPG

B2.JPG

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lookin great Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've been getting a bit interested in 50's jets recently and here you are building one of the ones that has caught my eye, thanks for that !. Your hard work might result in another sale for Mr Airfix, although all that PE is a bit mind boggling for me ! Good luck - looking forward to the results.

Regards

Colin M...........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good to see you are geting into it again Derek. That cockpit sure looks the part. Nice Work.

Colin, have you seen that Airfix have anounced a re release of the Lightning. Hold off from buying one on e-bay and see what Mr. Airfix does!!! I am.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin/Ian, not getting much modelling time at the moment, my sister is coming out of hospital at the end of the month so have lots to organize before she gets home.

Colin, re the photo etch its turning out to be a bit disappointing a bit too 2D for me, so will cherry pick bits and pieces. I have invested in the Aires Wheel Bay set which is a vast improvement as well as the Aires Exhaust.

Will post more photo's as time allows. Thanks for your input. There at loads of beautiful '50s aircraft to build. Plan to do an RAF Buccaneer later in the year.

Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Good to see you are geting into it again Derek. That cockpit sure looks the part. Nice Work.Colin, have you seen that Airfix have anounced a re release of the Lightning. Hold off from buying one on e-bay and see what Mr. Airfix does!!! I am.

Ian M
Ian, what do you know ? Is it a re-release in a new box or are they producing a new kit ?

Derek, shame about the PE, but it looks like you have loads of the stuff to choose from so I'm sure it will still have a noticable effect on your model. Hope it all goes well with your sister. Mind you, as she rests maybe should could get bending a bit of PE for you !

Regards

Colin M.......