Easy Dio Dry Stone Walls

S

sprayman

I came across some casting powder the other day, and a little bulb lit up, that reminded me of an article I once read on making dry stone walls for any scale dio's.

1.Make a mix of your powder, casting,plaster of paris, poly filla etc.

2.Then pour it in a tray, not to thick, then tap the tray to get the air bubbles out.

3.When its near the setting mark, just dab your fingers lightly over the top to give it texture.

4.Then when its dry, just crack them all up into little pieces.

5.Then build your wall, to the style you want, I used PVA glue to set the pieces in place.

6.When you have built the wall, I just mat varnished it before painting.

6.Then when the wall is set, just paint it to the style and effect you want, after you have painted it, you can add pastel or weathering powders, I just airbrushed various Tamiya, greens and browns to give it a weathered out door look.

I hope this is of use to you Dio builders.

Thanks for reading all,

Ray

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice weathering Ray.

You should have added....

Never use you bride's best Teflon non stick tray...I did, once!

Now the scars have healed, I use the top of a 1ltr. ice cream container. Plenty big enough too.

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That handy, I will be needing a dry stone wall for a base soon.....

Looks very good Ray.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thats brilliant Ray, thanks for posting it up mate. Going to give it a go for my next project.

Have fun, John

S

sprayman

Glad it may be of use to you super dio builders in the future.....and thanks for reading...

@Ron ...lol..great tip mate.....rather shocked your still alive though....lol

C

CDW

Great little method Ray ...

I mainly use the polystyrene method but your idea has the edge for versitility thats for sure :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Glad it may be of use to you super dio builders in the future.....and thanks for reading...@Ron ...lol..great tip mate.....rather shocked your still alive though....lol
Thanks for the concern Ray, the scar is still there but I wear a bobble hat to hide it!

Incidently, with regards to the 'Ice cream tray', the one advantage is that being plyable, you just gently flex it and out pops the stuff!

Another good moulding tray is the soft silicone baking tray.....The Pound shops and the like have them in various sizes and pretty colours too!!

Cheers,

Ron

First Name
Aaron
Effective and easy this will look as good done with polyfiller i hope. Thanks ray.

The paint job and weathering looks perfect i might add. Spot on

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
oh yes will be using this in future projects nice one ray

geegad

S

Stevekir

It depends on the scale, but years ago I used some small slatey-like stuff piled on the roadside by the Local authority. By placing each piece horizontally produced a very realistic wall.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great tip Ray and thanks for saving me from SWMBOID (SWMBO inflicted damage) Ron.

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I don't see what's funny! It was my noggin' what got clouted!!! I'm o.k now though. No after effects....

Your obedient servant,

Winston Churchill

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Curtis

That is a brilliant idea - will definitely be giving it a try with polyfilla for my current project.

Going to try some smashed up slate too, see how they compare ;)