Eduard 1/48 Bf109 E-1 Profipack

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought I would do a construction thread for this build, although it will be a lot slower moving than most.View attachment 93711

View attachment 93710

Work is well underway on the office, this was my first experience with PE and even with my reading glasses for magnification some of the bits were tiny.

I have a little bit of cleaning up to do on the back of the cockpit, I got a little bit of glue spilt on my thumb when I glued this in and unfortunately I left my mark.

upload_2014-10-18_12-19-51.png

photo.JPG

D

dubster72

Good start Dave, I've built the E-4 Weekend Edition which was a joy to make!

Cheers

Patrick

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Dave,looking good with the cockpit, ;)

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Time for a brief update, progress has slowed to a crawl because of a bout of pre-Christmas travel for work, but here is the engine nearly ready to go in to the fuselage. Apologies for the poor quality snapshot.

View attachment 95007

photo 1.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Good start I've got the weekend edition of this and it looks a cracker , I see this has got all the doo dabs like pe

Ps what's it like building in zero gravity:D

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Zero-G makes it easier to nudge in the small bits of PE. :D

My understanding is the weekend edition is the profipack without the PE, cockpit masks and fewer decal options.

I don't know if your going to do the engine open or closed. I'm doing closed and I am going to have to remove a few bits off the engine to make the cowling fit.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Dave, looks like a nice kit.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
View attachment 97224

Here is the latest progress, I am now stalled for the rest of the weekend on the build as the camouflage scheme is an RLM02/RLM71 splinter and I forgot to buy any RLM71. So a trip to my local model store on the way home from work tomorrow.

In order to fit the cowling you need to take everything except the exhausts off the engine block and then file off the front top corners of the block.

IMG_0346.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Looking good dave and thanks for the heads up on the engine , why they can't tell you you can't fit the cowling with the complete engine is beyond me and further to this why can't they make the engine parts smaller so you can after all it's 'supposed' to be a 'scale ' model :confused:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking good dave and thanks for the heads up on the engine , why they can't tell you you can't fit the cowling with the complete engine is beyond me and further to this why can't they make the engine parts smaller so you can after all it's 'supposed' to be a 'scale ' model :confused:
I know its a bit of a pain. I suppose the argument is that the engine is correct in scale if you wish to build open, but due to the limitations of plastic the cowling is thicker than it should be for the scale which causes the problem. If your building closed all you really need is the bottom half of the engine block to attach the exhausts to and the aluminium bits at the front you will eventually mount the prop on.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, this is coming along very nicely.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
View attachment 99064

Quick update a little more progress, a little deepening of the panel lines with a mix of raw umber and lamp black oil paint heavily thinned. Exhaust stains also added by airbrush 1:1 Nato Black and Dark Rust (Vallejo Model Air and Panzer Aces respectively) again thinned with an equal volume of thinner sprayed at about 15 psi.

doj1.JPG