Eduard 1/48 Spitfire IXe

First Name
Jason
I'm not really sure why but this one has spent the last few months gathering dust on the shelf of doom.

I did start a build thread which you can see here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/eduard-1-48-spitfire-mk-ixe-beer-barrels.28496/

All that needed doing were the exhausts, canopy, a few minor parts and some weathering so quite why it has taken me months to get around to it is baffling.

Anyway, it's a fantastic kit. I really enjoyed the build and who doesn't love a Spitfire. There is one glaring error that I noticed when it was to late to remedy (There may be more but I've only noticed one:smiling3:)

So here it is, my first completed build of 2015. C's & C's welcomed.

View attachment 96701

View attachment 96702

View attachment 96703

View attachment 96704

View attachment 96705

View attachment 96706

And a shot of the beginnings of my squadron.

View attachment 96707

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Fantastic looking spitfire well both actually:smiling3: ive been thinking of getting the beer barrel kit I think you've just sold it to me :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well to me it looks very good indeed.

Great paint and not over done with the weathering :smiling3:

The only thing I noticed as missing are the gun port tapes. Other than that very nice indeed..

So two down.....loads left to do?

Ian M

First Name
Jason
Cheers Guys!

Al you're gonna end up with more Spit's than is healthy for someone who 'doesn't do Spitfires' ;)

Ian, the distructions say to omit gun port tapes, if anyone can provide evidence to the contrary I still have them. Oh and I've got two more Eduard IX's a revel rebox of the ICM and a pre order for the new Airfix Mk 1:smiling3:. They're like Pringles these Spitfires.....

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Great build.Superb paintwork.Cant see any errors.But then,I'm not very observant!.

D

dubster72

That's a great Spitfire Jason! Well worth a great build gong ;)

I'd like to see some close up shots if you get the chance. This might well be next on my list!

First Name
Mike
Very nice Jason; if there's a 'glaring error' I'm too thick or unobservant to see it. The weathering is nice and subtle too.

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the comments Gents

I was sure someone would notice my mistake :smiling3:

I measured the invasion stripes on the fuselage from the front to the back and it wasn't until it came to applying the decals that I noticed that they don't go back as far as they should. The over painted sky panel is the tail band and should be just in front of the tail. I was about 5mm out in my measurements so the codes, roundels and serials all had to be moved closer together. The moral of the story 'measure twice or risk mucking it up'.

\ said:
I'd like to see some close up shots if you get the chance. This might well be next on my list!
Anything in particular you'd like to see Patrick?

Jason

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian, the distructions say to omit gun port tapes
My bad Its an IXe and they would be quite redundant as there was no MG ports to cover!!! I was trying to find the mistake you admitted lol couldn't find it.

Ian M

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks great! I like how you've shot it against a white background for us also :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Cheers Guys!Al you're gonna end up with more Spit's than is healthy for someone who 'doesn't do Spitfires' ;)

Ian, the distructions say to omit gun port tapes, if anyone can provide evidence to the contrary I still have them. Oh and I've got two more Eduard IX's a revel rebox of the ICM and a pre order for the new Airfix Mk 1:smiling3:. They're like Pringles these Spitfires.....

Jason
Well that's your fault for building great spitfires

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great to me. No idea what the glaring error might be as it's not glaring at me :smiling3:

Mine's a pint by the way!

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I too am unable to spot a glaring error of any sort. The paint work is right, the decals look correct, the stripes are good, the nav lights are round the right way, the propeller is even on the right way... Great build all round, a very nicely presented Spitfire that :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
One guess at the error Jason. While it's not 'glaring', could it be the serial number over the black invasion stripe at the rear fuselage?

First Name
Jason
\ said:
One guess at the error Jason. While it's not 'glaring', could it be the serial number over the black invasion stripe at the rear fuselage?
Keep up Joe:smiling3:! I've confessed my sin farther up the thread! It is invasion stripe related though :D

It is funny though. The mistakes we make in our own builds that we are convinced everyone will pick up on, no one really notices, are we all too self critical???

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Keep up Joe:smiling3:! I've confessed my sin farther up the thread! It is invasion stripe related though :D It is funny though. The mistakes we make in our own builds that we are convinced everyone will pick up on, no one really notices, are we all too self critical???
Oh yes, the stripe dimensions. Keep up indeed, crikey. At least I am not alone since the confession :P