EMA plastic weld ?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening, having my usual glue problems! Looking at EMA, any good and importantly how smelly? As bad as Tamiya extra thin?

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No don't think so Bob, I bought some seems good , just watch the bottle as can easily get knocked over as you take your brush out.
I also use the glass tube, need some more experience with that but is great for long runs of glue.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Evening, having my usual glue problems! Looking at EMA, any good and importantly how smelly? As bad as Tamiya extra thin?
Hello Bob,
EMA liquid is the best I can reccomend, have used it for over a decade. Only problem with it is that it disolves fast if you leave the lid off and it will put you to sleep if using it in the cupboard under the stairs. I usually buy it in a 12 bottle box or by the tin and decant it into my own glue holder (see pic).
No real unpleasant smell from it and can be used in an average bedroom with the door open.
Mike
EMA.jpg
The black stick is the old brush I use to apply the glue.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hello Bob,
EMA liquid is the best I can reccomend, have used it for over a decade. Only problem with it is that it disolves fast if you leave the lid off and it will put you to sleep if using it in the cupboard under the stairs. I usually buy it in a 12 bottle box or by the tin and decant it into my own glue holder (see pic).
No real unpleasant smell from it and can be used in an average bedroom with the door open.
Mike
View attachment 438956
Evening Mike

Much appreciated!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s very good Bob. Nearest thing to my old favourite, Slaters Mek Pak. Not as strong as Butanone based liquid solvents. Especially good for sticking plastic sheet together. It is definitely a solvent, rather than a cement. It has no “body” in itself, just dissolving the plastic and welding it together. It is very volatile though, if you leave the top open it will evaporate before your eyes.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello Bob,
Mike
View attachment 438956
Bob does not have an average bedroom,he sleeps in a full size replica of a StuG .Suppose he could leave a hatch open. .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Smelly? Anybody remember using Seccotine? - A fish glue....................nuff said!
EMA, I found about the same as Mek-Pak both stick perhaps better than TET, but you seem to go through bottles quickly ( even without knocking them over! ), I suppose due to the high evaporation rate.
Dave