Emhar Mk IV - 1/72 Scale

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Evening all. I haven't posted anything in a while but this is what I've been playing with recently - the Emhar 1/72 Mk IV Male.

It's not much of a kit as the sprue shot shows. About thirty parts in total but it's got some nice detail.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
It went together quickly and easily with no major problems. I bored out the gun barrels with the point of a craft knife, then undercoated it with dark earth from a rattle can.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Painting done. Unditching beam to make next, then weathering. I decided to go for a dirty looking greenish khaki - a mix of Vallejo Brown violet, English uniform and Russian uniform. Looks about right to my eye at least! Pinwashed with black. The recognition panels were hand painted, the only decals I used were the vehicle numbers on the rear hull. Tracks were painted Humbrol track colour, then a wash of black, then dry brushed with gunmetal.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Jakko! More progress to follow shortly.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rivets nicely highlighted Alex.

Cheers,
Richard

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys! This is it with the weathering pretty much done. I used dried mud from the garden and a bit of crushed chalk whizzed up in a coffee grinder. The resulting powder was mixed with white glue and stippled on with an old paintbrush. The streaking effect is thinned very dark brown enamel.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks guys! This is it with the weathering pretty much done. I used dried mud from the garden and a bit of crushed chalk whizzed up in a coffee grinder. The resulting powder was mixed with white glue and stippled on with an old paintbrush. The streaking effect is thinned very dark brown enamel.

View attachment 328592
That looks the business, well done, now go wash out the coffee grinder...
Cheers, Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Windy, nice one. Cool muddy finish....
A couple of years ago I saw the Bovington replica after it had been out in the mud and rain for a demo. I was amazed at the dirt streaking on the sides. There was almost no paint visible. All I could see was mud streaking washed off from the tracks.....quite striking, and like an idiot I didn’t take any pictures.....never seen one modelled like it either.....l

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Windy.
Looks good , like the crap on the track.
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All I could see was mud streaking washed off from the tracks.....quite striking, and like an idiot I didn’t take any pictures.....never seen one modelled like it either.....
That sounds like an idea. I think I still have both the male and female versions of this kit unbuilt, and after seeing Alex’s example I thought I might build one of them sometime soon. The idea of adding mud like you describe puts it higher up on my list :smiling3:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Evening all. Thanks for all the comments. The last obstacle was making the unditching beam. I'm afraid I didn't take any progress shots but here are the raw materials. I used a catering match - roughly twice the length and width of a standard match (shown for comparison). This was then faced with foil from the top of a wine bottle. The chain is from a really nasty £5 necklace from Accessorize!

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
And here is the finished result in situ. The folded tarp is made from the same foil. The chain was painted the same as the tracks with Humbrol track colour and a wash of black. But then dry brushed with bright orange. The beam was just given a wash of dirty brown to bring out the grain, and the metalwork is Vallejo oily steel with a wash of black and a bit of light dry brushing.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Just had a great read through Alex. Top work on the build. The beam is wonderful. Will you be leaving it as is or is it going on a base??

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Just had a great read through Alex. Top work on the build. The beam is wonderful. Will you be leaving it as is or is it going on a base??

Thanks Steve. Glad you like it! It's probably going to go on a base. Ploughing through the German wire, maybe with a section of infantry following. Need to find some suitable figures first!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alex,
That's a great looking build. One question where did you find dried mud in your garden at this time of year :tongue-out3:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks mate. To answer your question, I harvested the mud over the summer! Here are some all round views. Time to start working on a base next.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Windy,
I do the same then sieve it to get fine dust and small stones and keep them stored seperately

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A couple of years ago I saw the Bovington replica after it had been out in the mud and rain for a demo. I was amazed at the dirt streaking on the sides. There was almost no paint visible. All I could see was mud streaking washed off from the tracks.....
Did it look like this?

barbarossa-033.jpg

5xghahs0lebcxqunusee.jpg

Going by your description, probably worse than that, but if this is the basic look then I’ve got a reasonable idea of what to go for :smiling3: