Encore 1/72 BF 109G-2

S

spongtastic

Just started this one as another 99p job. Thought I'd try adding some detail as if it goes wrong I haven't lost anything. Wheel wells first, and I know they're blanked off and not deep enough. It's highlighted a few bits that I need, fine drills and thinner plastic card being two of them, but I can't buy everything all at once. Not long now and I'll be building 2 seat 190 conversions again (maybe!)

View attachment 80201

View attachment 80202

image.jpg

image.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice,sounds interesting, will be waiting to see what you do to it, always like some think new :rolleyes:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The old Heller kit, cool. Will watch with interest.

First Name
Mike
It may be the old Heller kit as Joe mentioned but it's more accurate than some later releases (like the new-tool Airfix 109, for example), and should go together without any major issues. Looking forward to it.

S

spongtastic

The upper and lower wing fit is good, but I think somebody else made the fuselage as it's a very poor fit and there's quite a gap both sides at the wing root. Time to break out the filler and files.View attachment 80217

image.jpg

S

spongtastic

Well cleared the block (nearly 2 months!) and have started painting. The upper surface is Hu196 which is supposed to be close to RLM 77. I've even managed to keep most of the panel lines which is a bonus.

View attachment 82630

image.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
RLM 77 ? Are you sure?

Cheers

Steve

S

spongtastic

\ said:
RLM 77 ? Are you sure?Cheers

Steve
According to this, it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure either!

http://www.rlm.at/download/rlmpdf_e.pdf

R

Reelo

A G-2 would most probably 74/75 over 76 with mottle in 74,75 and 02.

That's the standard camo for fighters from '41 onwards until the chaotic end days where 81,82 and 83 were used (but don't ask for values for those colors: it's a can of worms!)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

R

Reelo

\ said:
Photo from BF-109 site taken in 1941. Unusual scheme.Begs the question of standardised schemes!!

View attachment 82877 View attachment 82878
Well, the basic camo (RLM colors and areas where to apply them) were prescribed, but the mottling on the sides (and sometimes during winter or for night-fighters on TOP of the wings) was applied freely, often in the field.

No matter how dissimilar 2 planes are, the basic camo pattern on the top of the wings and fuselage followed 2 or 3 standardized patterns.

With 109G you can even tell which plant the plane was manufactured at because Erla, WNF and Regensburg each had their own standard camo.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Later the camouflage mottling on the sides was factory applied and if not exactly standardised it did follow a theme which is typical of each production facility.

A G-2 would be in 74/75/76 in the ETO. Camouflage schemes were frequently adjusted by units. Some were notorious for doing so.

If you want to get really detailed about the mottling or any adjustments to the basic scheme, you would need a reference photo for the particular aircraft you are modelling.

Of the 1586 G-2s built most (914 completed) were built at the Wiener Neustadt (WNF) factory with others produced at Erla (544)) and Regensburg (118).

Over 400 of the total G-2s produced were tropical versions finished in 79/78.

RLM 77 was used as a camouflage colour very late in the war but was generally used for markings.

Cheers

Steve

R

Reelo

Looks good though I've never seen an 77/80 over 78 camo scheme. Seems rather odd, but if you like it...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks good.

I think it is a rather liberal interpretation of a tropical scheme :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

S

spongtastic

Another update, canopy is an appalling fit, prop seems to be moulded the wrong way (only noticed after I'd stuck it on :sad: )

Just trying to decide what to use for the cannon and pitot. Might try some brass tube as 1/72 replacements are about £8

View attachment 83221

image.jpg

D

dubster72

It's still looking good though!

Perhaps the prop is for an export version to the Italians - so they can get away from trouble quicker! :P