Encore 1/72 Bristol Beaufort

W

wbk666

A re-pop of the frog kit it says on the box though i'm sure it was never this bad.

A promising start... well it came in a box with instruction lol

and decals for 3 different planes

Stuck to the instructions are some PE ariels

But then we get to the kit itself

Clear parts are far from clear and have some mold problems to

the kit is a white, greasy feeling brittle plastic

And brings to mind a film soundtrack by Queen

**FLASH** AHHAHH

and then theres the mis-casts, warped parts and general poor quality of the molding

A couple of month back i'd probably have binned the lot but im a more determined beast nowadays.

I#ll male something of this if it kills me:soapbox:

First Name
Dave
I bought this kit in the early 90's when i had a lot less patience than i have now.The transparencies in my kit were not completely formed.So much for Encores quality control,if they have any.Good luck with it Wayne.

W

wbk666

same here, also there seems to be no way of fitting the undercarriage so this will be an "in flight" model now LOL

Also the undercarriage doors are all shapes so im just going to fill the hole with milliput and have a go at a little sculpting.

This white styrene they use doesnt seem to like glue either, i just doesnt want to bond with itself.

First Name
Dave
I also built this as a kid when it was a Frog 'spin a prop' kit.They were great fun.Wonder if you can still get the electric motors?.Special Hobby are supposed to be releasing a 1/48 Beaufort sometime this year .Another one on my wish list.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Aye carumba! Thats one gnarly old kit wayne!! The passage of time hasnt been kind to the old frog moulds , a shame as the beaufort is quite sadly neglected by most of the mainstream manufacturers , so there arent a lot of kits. Best of luck mate , im sure theres a half decent kit beneath all that flash!!cheers tony

W

wbk666

\ said:
I also built this as a kid when it was a Frog 'spin a prop' kit.They were great fun.Wonder if you can still get the electric motors?.Special Hobby are supposed to be releasing a 1/48 Beaufort sometime this year .Another one on my wish list.
they do a 1/72 scale one. thats on my wish list ;)

I may even turn this encore one into a downed craft with a me109 doing a fly past LOL

Im really beginning to hate this kit.

W

wbk666

This encore kit will be the ruin of me

no amount of trimming, clamping and bending would get the two halves of the fuselage to meet up near the turret

so i've had to bring in the squadron putty again

The undercarriage just doesnt work at all so i thought i'd do it wheels up. the wheel covers are shot to "poop" so ive blanked off the bay with plasticard

and broke out the big guns, Moulded some Milliput into a rough shape of what the doors should be like and then when thats dry i'll bring in the dremel and try to shape them right

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
At this stage in the bout (round 2) i reckon the kit is just winning on points, but ive a feeling wayne will punch it into submission and hopefully not throw in the towel!! know what i mean harry! hur hur hur!

W

wbk666

i may play dirty, double team it and pass it on to my parrot to "play" with LOL

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
You could always use it as a door stop wayne, with all that milliput it must weigh about 2kg!!!

W

wbk666

i did use quite a bit but i'm slowly beating it into submission

The wings at close of play tonight

The "not so clear" clear parts are going to take some extra work too :confused:

W

wbk666

I cant believe i've gotten this far with this "POS"

All primed and sort of looking like an actual aircraft.

I've NEVER used as much filler as i have on this. Milliput, Squadron white putty and GW Liquid green stuff.

View attachment 53094

IMG_8641.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Beaufort is looking much better now Wayne, well done on all that filling!

M

mobear

maybe should of took a mold of it,lol very well played mate

mobear

First Name
Dave
As a builder of old kits myself I can appreciate how much work you've put into that so far.Looking good Wayne.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looks like you made a silk purse out of a sow's ear there mate, well done.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well you got your monies worth in plastic there, maybe be not quality, but quantity. Encore, a name I'll remember for the future. But anyway, the point is you are showing it who is the boss. Great effort, keep going.

Colin M..

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wbk666

painted the underside Vallejo Azure Blue tonight.

This aircraft is going to one that served in the Turkish Airforce.

A. because i dont have anything from that airforce

B. because it with leave me with some spare RAF decals which are always handy

and

C. because that craft didnt have the PE ariels fitted and im not wasting them on this POS ;)

View attachment 53142

IMG_8644.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Way to beat that kit into submission Wayne,coming along nicely!