excell comparision charts?????????

D

Doggy

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, I'm kind of just thinking out loud.

Ive collected almost 20 1:72nd kits and I've started buying paints for the ones I've started. But, I want to do some kind of excel spread sheet (which I'm crap with) to log the paints I have bought.

I then want to fill in each new kit and fill in the paints and hopefully the spread sheet will highlight the ones I've got and not got. This hopefully will help me be more organised and less likely to forget paints, buy the wrong paints or buy doublers.

I have a paper Humbrol chart I considered crossing off as I collected them. I think somewhere on here or the net I've seen excell comparision charts, am I mistaken?

Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Doggy

Ok so following on from this I started a spread sheet. i have both Airfix and Revell kits.

The paints don't seem to cross over very well. For example humbrol 117 is US light green matt, but I can't find any other company doing an equivilant.

So if i can't get to a shop selling Humbrol acrylics what do I buy?

Cheers.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I think somewhere on here or the net I've seen excell comparision charts, am I mistaken?Thanks.
Try:

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

If the active spreadsheet does not appear, or does not work, try another browser.

D

Doggy

I think thats a good idea, I was looking at it. It was really just to keep a log of my paint. I'll get some help from someone in work soon.

I really don't like revell kits, the paints are a bit off. I'm trying to cross them over using the active spread sheet but some things don't equate.

P

phalinmegob

i just bought every colour in the revell range over a few weeks, never have to worry then, now i am half way through tamiya which i found are far superior for airbrushing, i printed the colour chart from their websita and then just crossed them off as i bought them.

First Name
Dave
When I'm approaching the end of a build I'm already thinking about the next one.So I make sure I've got what I need before I start.No need for a spread sheet.If I forget something I order it on line and its delivered pretty quick.Mind you,I'm a slow builder,so I don't mind waiting a few days for a delivery.iModelKit and ModelPaint42 are good Apps to have on your phone.Useful for finding equivalents in other manufacturers ranges.

T

tecdes

I have colour charts stuck on the garage door. When I buy a new paint I use one of those round coloured stickers & place it next to the new paint.

You can then see at a glance which you have. Makes for a simple life. I love simplicity it relieves brain power.

Laurie

Thought of the day

Attack the things you do not like doing straight away. You can then enjoy for the rest of the day doing the things you enjoy & with out fear of guilt.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good idea with a data base of your stash and extras. But what ever you do, do not put the prices on it: many reasons. the primary being when you see just how much you have spent you might just feint.

It the wife sees it you stand a very good chance of a premature death...

On the plus side, should the worst happen and you loose the lot, you have a record for the insurance company.....

Keeping a data base of paints is a good idea and not that hard to do. The hard part is finding the matches.

The one mentioned in an earlier post, the paint4models one, is pretty good and saves you a lot of time. There are a few holes in it though, so if you fine a match, let them know and he will add it.

For my own quick reference I have one of Vallejo's colour chip fan/book. (just like the ones for house paints) it is not printed but hand painted with the actual paints. The last couple of pages, it has an OK cross reference of the more popular paint brands. It also has FS and RAL. Unfortunatly no BS matches!!

Ian M

D

Doggy

dave I cant see the apps you mentioned on the play store but I do have two others.

I went to hobby craft with my apps and my list, I got most of the paints I need. I bought mostly Tamiya and one Revel aqua.

I bought some masking tape and Tamiya thinners. £26 ouch.

First Name
Dave
Sorry Doggy,I forgot to say iModelKit only works on iPhone/iPad.Not sure about the other one.I find they are great for finding alternatives when I'm in the model shop and they've run out of the one I want.

D

Doggy

Ian most of my kits are air fix so I use humbrol as a guide and a starting point. Their numbers are easy to follow and my memory is coming back because I used humbrol as a kid in the 80s. So it's easier for me and the spread sheet will feature humbrol numbers.

D

Doggy

\ said:
I have colour charts stuck on the garage door. When I buy a new paint I use one of those round coloured stickers & place it next to the new paint.You can then see at a glance which you have. Makes for a simple life. I love simplicity it relieves brain power.

Laurie

Thought of the day

Attack the things you do not like doing straight away. You can then enjoy for the rest of the day doing the things you enjoy & with out fear of guilt.
thats a good idea too, but im not buying a garage to hang a chart on, lol.

T

tecdes

Tut Doggy who mentioned a garage you only need a garage door.

Laurie