F-117A NIGHTHAWK

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice one Terry. Coming thick and fast and quality too!

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Or did do it's job Patrick as I believe all them have now been placed in storage in boxes in a hangar. From what I can gather this is to stop the technology sed from falling in to unwanted hands.
They are mothballed as you say and can be reactivated. They have occasionally been seen in recent years over the Nellis Range. Their retirement was brought forward to free up funds to buy more F-22 Raptors. Even the USAF has a tight budget now days. Modern computer aided designs can produce a stealth profile and skin without the need for asymmetric airframes, reducing the cost and time of maintenance.

0ne48thtel

I think the tight budgets are worldwide Joe that and other commitments. It is very noticeable at air shows as the number of participants has dropped off a lot to what it was.

With regards the F-117 and displays there was one year at the International Air Tattoo they had two participate. One flying and the other as static. On departures day they did not go as one of them went tech so needed seeing to. They were there a couple of weeks. Before flying home they had to air test it/give it a shake down. On the day they chose to do this there was five grown men stood watching. If our mouths could have opened anymore they would have been resting on the ground.

There is air display flying and there is shake down flying this guy kicked that plane all over the sky. As we had our scanners tuned to the tower we could hear the R/T between the tower and pilot. The ATC guy remarked to the pilot in his American drawl. "WELL SIR I DIDN'T KNOW THEY COULD DO THAT". To which the pilot replied " WELL SIR WE CAN'T SHOW THEM EVERYTHING AT DISPLAYS".

Needless to say they was some very excited chatter between the five of us as they touched down. Some of the moves that aircraft di would leave some modern jets wanting.

0ne48thtel

It was Joe there was a couple of bonuses to it. The first is it beat any display flight I have ever seen hands down. The second being it was totally unexpected so only a few others shared the experience.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Nice work! I have one waiting for me to be build as Vega 31