F-11E build

P

Polux

Interesting!

It's true, there aren't many markings to choice...

Which camo it needs?

Polux

First Name
Dave
I've not built an F111 myself.Who makes this kit?.I can't quite read the manufacturers name on the instructions.

First Name
Dave
Not heard of them so will be watching this come together.1/48 scale I presume?.

0ne48thtel

Yep it is. A lot of internal bits n bobs to put together for the swing wing should be interesting.

K

Kressy_13

Will be interesting to see this one come together, it couldn't be worse than the academy F-111. That was a terrible kit to make. With the camo are you talking about the south east asia camo? It's a bit strange you get no stencils with the decals as the F-111 has quite a few. Do the pylons swing with the wings?

0ne48thtel

Kresten Looking at the destructions I think the pylons do pivot wthe the wing movement. I have already found what could be the first problem of the build. That being the forward section fit to the main body However we shall see. The camo is what was standard on most USAF airframes before they adopted the NATO grey.

I was a bit suprised at how few decals were with this kit seeing how big it is.

K

Kressy_13

Ah, this is one of the main problems with the academy kit. Leaves a large gap, if you look at some builds of the academy version most people use some sheet styrene to make a rib i suppose you would call it, to expand the main body to meet the nose section. Another thing is the pivoting pylons, on the F-111 only the 2 inboard pylons on each wing would pivot. If they used the third the wings had to remain at full extension. That sounds like the normal SEA camo. Always looks good on any aircraft. The RAAF birds had a black underside though, not the usual lighter colour. Should be good to see how this goes.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'll be watching this one Terry , I love the look of the f111. These Zhengdefu kits arent too bad , ive got the Su 27 in 1/48 and its ok. The one area that lets them down is the decals , not very many, usually spurious in nature and with a few amusing spelling errors ('Whisperino death' for example on this one!) Ive heard that they are sometimes copies of academy kits , although the su 27 is different in breakdown so this may not be true for all. With a bit of careful fettling i'm sure it'll turn out great. One final note , anyone thinking about getting the A10 by this maker -DONT!!! steer well clear , its a real pile of ... , cheers tony

0ne48thtel

Thanks guys.

Tony I just went and checked the decals and you are right I hadn't noticed that before.

I might just have to look around on the net for a replacement sheet me thinks. The cockpit detail isn't the best either but as it is a closed offic I am not to worried.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The cockpit and decals arent too hot on my su 27 either (actually the decals are for the PLAAF , i'm doing it as Russian so it doesnt matter) , the cockpit doesnt really matter either as Ive got a resin seat and i intend converting it to a Su 35 , which has a different 'glass' cockpit . Apart from this the outline and other details are very usable , the same thing should go for your F111 , and not forgetting that these kits can usually be picked up fairly cheap. Looking forward to seeing the build , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to this one Terry, as I said in another thread, the Pig is one of my favourite post war aircraft.

K

Kressy_13

Coming alog nicely mate, they are a large kit when done. Looks like this could be a reissue of the academy kit. The whole thing looks the same so far.

0ne48thtel

Thanks Kresten I am having problems getting the pylons to rotate to stay straight when the wings are moved. they seem to want to go any way but.

I am thinking of locking the wings in one postion more for space than convenience of build so it may not be as bigger issue.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Don't know if you are aware but the whole cockpit was ejected if the need arose. access into the cockpit was via the two windows, one over each seat, that hinge upward from the centre, like a gull-wing car door.

Here is a photo of an actual cock pit as it would be jettisoned from the aircraft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F-111_cockpit_similuator.jpg

Ian M

0ne48thtel

Ian thanks for the pic I was aware that the whole cockpit was encased in a capsule. I seen one some years ago at one of the Scottish aviation museums If my memory serves me right Ithink it was the Dumfries and Galloway museum I may be wrong though. I am sure if anyone on here has seen it they will tell me where it was I had.