F-16C-527th Aggressors-RAF Bentwaters July 1988-September 1990

First Name
Gavinn
The Histroy:
The mission of the 527th Aggressor Squadron was to provide dissimilar air combat training for NATO pilots, using Soviet tactics. The 527th had previously flown F-5Es until July 1988 when the squadron was reassigned to RAF Bentwaters and began transitioning to the F-16C. The was intended to have 18 F-16s, but the unit only acquired 12 airframes. With the collapse of the Soviet Union and cuts in defense spending, the military began to question the need for aggressor squadrons. The USAF ultimately decided to disband its only USAFE aggressor unit. The squadron began reassigning its F-16s by mid 1990, and was officially deactivated in September 1990, a mere 18 months after it first stood up.

The Project:
The kit is the old Monogram 1/48 F-16 originally tooled in 1976! This old kit is crude by even some of the standards at the time, but hey it was $5.00 US at an antique store near me so I might as well use it. This is the 1995 rebox. So far I have purchased the Eduard Big Ed set and A ResKit GE F110 both are for the Tamiya Viper so it'll take some modification to either the aftermarket or the kit.20220714_104600.jpg20220714_104445.jpg20220714_104349.jpg20220714_104742.jpg20220714_104721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gavinn
Glad to see your first blog on the forum. It is a great way to get encouragement and helpful comments.
These old Monogram kits can build up into nice models with a bit of patience and work. The aftermarket stuff will go some way to bring this old kit up to scratch.
Jim

First Name
Gavinn
I've started on the cockpit. First I cut odd the triangular "Rudder Pedals" and filled the subsequent holes. Basic cleanup and test fit of a side console show that some trimming will be required.20220714_133407.jpg

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Interesting bit of history Gavinn. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Bentwaters/Woodbridge areas but never realised they'd had F16's there.

Nick.

First Name
Gavinn
Interesting bit of history Gavinn. I've spent quite a bit of time in the Bentwaters/Woodbridge areas but never realised they'd had F16's there.

Nick.
Thanks, I'm not very familiar with USAF Europe, what kind of aircraft do they have at Bentwaters nowadays?

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Sadly it's been closed for many years and a lot of redevelopment done. I think the usaf reduced their presence after the collapse of the Eastern Bloc.

Not entirely sure about Bentwaters, but Woodbridge is now a British Army base for an engineering regiment. The runway is still there and used for training. They've had A400's and Osprey's flying about when I've been there and it's also used by the local police for pursuit training...

Nick

First Name
Gavinn
Interesting, yes The DOD severely cut down US Defense spending and even more under the Bill Clinton administration. However in the past decade we're approaching pre-Soviet collapse budgeting

First Name
Gavinn
When my grandpa was in the Army he was stationed in northern Germany in the early eightees. Some of his fondest memories are of him watching A-10s skirmish with range targets.

First Name
Gavinn
Day ones progress was minimal, but I did finish detailing the seat save for color parts. The instrument panel in this kit is a joke, but it Is kind of charming just how unrealistic it is. I may use it anyway. The Eduard PE worked like a dream, Ihad to add scrap styrene to the insides of the side consoles to account for the wide PE. I also narrowed the seat a little.20220714_164912.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just a tip: you can insert the photos into your message, instead of having them all as attachments underneath that people need to click on to view :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You're off and running. One thing about these older, rather simple kits, is that there is a real feeling of achievement when you get a nice result in the end.

First Name
Andrea
Gavinn, I'll take a seat and follow your build: updating an old kit it's always very interesting with plenty of things to learn. :thumb2:
I'm pretty sure your granpa was fascinated by Warthogs' target practice: their 30 mm gun sound is unique and A10s used to sensibly slow down when firing it, even if diving, for the sheer recoil force!
Checking the targets wasn't as fascinating as looking from a distance 'cause DU bullets are not really healthy and not only for their targets. :tongue-out3:

Andrea

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm in the seat next to Andrea. :smiling3:

Love these aircraft, I built the Tamiya version in the Aggressor Blue Splinter scheme a couple of years ago. Look forward to seeing what you do with this one.