F-4B Phantom

K

Kressy_13

Hi all, figured I should put up what I will be attempting to make. Have always loved the Phantom so it's about time I made one. Saw this kit in the local shop and had to have it. It is the academy 1/48 F-4B Phantom VF-111 sundowners. Have always been a fan of the sundowners scheme so will be using the kit decals. Detail on the kit looks good and it would appear they will be putting out more variants with whats in the box which is great news. Need to make a RAAF F-4E. Better get stared.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 71270

F-4B box art.jpg

First Name
Dave
I've read the reviews that say this is a great kit.Looking forward to your build.

B

bluebottle

It gives Hasegawa a run for it's money.

It has a couple of minor flaws, which most of us can live with..

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good choice Kresten, look forward to seeing another Phantom build. Novascale do decal sets for the RAAF Phantom.

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice kit kresten , and the B in USN colours is such a classic look , , cheers tony

K

Kressy_13

Thanks guys. It is quite a nice kit. Plenty of aftermarket RAAF decals here Joe, can get scales that the models don't even exist for. I had the "great" idea of getting a mask for it to make things a bit easier. 1 thing leads to another so now i'm waiting for a few update sets and some alclad paint to arrive. Never used it before so thought I would give it a try. In the mean time have got on with the wheel bay construction and the intakes.

Detail is good and builds easy. Was a bit thrown off by the lack of any detail on the main gear bay roof but upon looking at references it was actually flat with no detail. Saves me a bit of scratchbuilding. I am unable to find any info on what is inside a couple of flaps that are on the underside of the aircraft though. I know the airbrakes are behind the gear bays but these open sideways either side of the center hard point. The kit poses these open but has no detail or even a floor in them.

If anyone knows about how the flaps act while the aircraft is siting that would be hand too. Thinking about having it sitting on deck with the RBF tags and maybe a couple of carrier carts.

Cheers

Kressy

View attachment 71397

View attachment 71399

View attachment 71402

View attachment 71403

View attachment 71404

intake.jpg

what is that.jpg

wheel bay 1.jpg

wheel bay 2.jpg

wheel bay.jpg

B

bluebottle

The airbrakes are immediately behind the gear bay, and open rear ward

I think what you're referring to are the additional air doors when taxiing .. they are either side of the centreline, and open downward

First Name
Dave
The doors you'd are referring to are the auxiliary air doors.The purpose of these was to get cooling air into the engine compartments at low air speeds.

K

Kressy_13

They are the ones. Thanks guys. As the kit has nothing in these spots at all it looks like I will have to try and scratch something in the way. Well i'm off to find some pics.

Cheers

Kresten

K

Kressy_13

Hi all. Received a pressie from the mail man today which is always nice. I got a MK1 design detail up set, KA models exhaust nozzles, some alclad and a few other paints needed. The detail up set has some nice photo etch with some resin wheels. It also comes with a mask that wasn't listed on the site so I also bought an eduard set. Only problem with this set are the instructions. Show you basic pictures of where some parts go and nothing for some bits. The nozzles have some nice detail and should look good. Looking forward to trying the alclad out as I've never used it. Time to get into it.

Cheers

Kressy

View attachment 71568

View attachment 71569

View attachment 71570

View attachment 71571

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A lot of goodies for the Phantom there Kresten. Look forward to seeing this one evolve.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It all looks very interesting. Alclad is like 'magic' in a bottle. It's great stuff.

K

Kressy_13

Howdy,

It does look like good stuff Colin, will see how i go with it. Well the pit is what i'm calling done for now. Still chasing some resin seats to put into it as they will look a great deal better. Tried to dirty up the place a bit as the PE was a bit shiny and new. Tried out some different washes as a test and it comes up ok. The rear sections will be mostly cover by the seats so not much concern with that. The PE set is nice with good detail, could use a bit of work on the instructions though. Will have to start getting the main assembly going now. The intakes need a bit of filling and sanding but nothing major.

Cheers

Kressy

View attachment 71889

View attachment 71890

View attachment 71891

View attachment 71892

Pit 1.jpg

Pit 2.jpg

Pit 3.jpg

Pit 4.jpg

K

Kressy_13

Thanks mate, should look even better with the seats in place.

Z

Ziper_it

Ho Kressy,

Very good work in this cockpit.

Looking for more.

Francesco

K

Kressy_13

Thanks guys, haven't done any more as yet. Have been away on an end of season trip with the football lads so a bit of recovery time is in order. I did get my resin seats today though.

K

Kressy_13

Still going with this but have had very little time lately. All that time has been spent on the intakes :sad: