F/A-18E Super Hornet 1/48 Hasegawa

P

Polux

Wow!! what a patience :eek:

Your work with the PE is magnificent. This build is looking superb Trey ;)

R

Ray Scheller

If you want to work with PE build a ship. There's more PE on one of those than are parts on an entire plane. That's why I don't do ships anymore. The PE can get so small you need an Optivisor in order to see it let alone trying to bend.it. I have great respect for those who have mastered ship PE.

Ray

T

treyzx10r

Patrick thanks,I cant take credit for the original idea with the putty and tape borrowed it from a master builder on another site . Hope you find it helpful on future builds,btw the Tomcat came out really sharp!

Terry,Polux,Dave & Ian thank you for the positive comments.

Well Ray not quite sure how to respond ,geuss I'll have to build a ship with a lot of pe someday to rate some respect.

I added the pe to the gear legs then stepped out in the shop for an a/b session finally adding the white to the bays and gear bits. With this hurdle out of the way I can hopefully start spraying some base color down tonight after it cools off.

P

Polux

Step by step it starts to coming live!

Excellent paintwork so far.

It's 1:48, but seems a big plane...O_o

D

Deleted member 3568

Just caught this one great work, I take my hat off to anyone using pe got a 1/400titanic with pe and it is just too small and fiddly for me, I will never use it again, my eyes just can't do it. So well done.

T

treyzx10r

Polux thanks, it does seem big for 1/48. The real one is a fairly good size bird for a Fighter. Kpnuts ,Joe,Patrick,Monica thank you !

I wanted to get a random weathered appearance so I broke out the salt and a spray bottle of water

After a good misting I ground up the salt and applied it randomly over the top surfaces

I let the salt completely dry

I then added a little flat white to the original base color and thinned it 75% and gave the upper surfaces a light spray. After that dried I brushed off the salt then with a soft brush gave it a good bath to flush the rest of the salt off completely. The longer you leave the salt on the more dramatic the effect will be. Since I just wanted a subtle effect I removed it quickly after the paint dried.

This is the end result

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The salt weathering has worked well Trey. I'm yet to attempt this technique, but it looks pretty good when it's done right.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
This looks a top notch build Trey, great weathering

Lee :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Almost their Trey, coming along nicely, sorry have not had much spare time lately. Cheers Derek