F4 Phantom - Showtime 100

B

beav1013

Here's my Phantom. Been working on it for over two months, just was being lazy with it and playing xbox instead of working on it. I think it came out pretty good in the end. This was my first cold war/modern era jet where i put on every decal. I started getting a little nervous when i was doing the wings because it looked too cluttered with all the No Walk, No Push ones. But after weathering and the flat coat I think they look okay.

I'm very pleased with the exhaust. I don't think the pictures really convey the shade of the brown/black on silver combination that it looks like in person. I recently got a new Iwata airbrush and that was the only part of this model that i used it on and man is it sweet. (Now i know why people say they spray at 15-20 psi, which is what i used with my iwata. The same paint consistency i was spraying at 35-40 on my old brush. I guess something was wrong with it.)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Comments/critiques welcome.

View attachment 30790

View attachment 30791

View attachment 30792

View attachment 30793

View attachment 30794

View attachment 30795

View attachment 30796

View attachment 30797

View attachment 30798

View attachment 30799

View attachment 30800

View attachment 30801

View attachment 30802

DSCN2837.jpg

DSCN2833.jpg

DSCN2838.jpg

DSCN2839.jpg

DSCN2832.jpg

DSCN2841.jpg

DSCN2831.jpg

DSCN2842.jpg

DSCN2836.jpg

DSCN2844.jpg

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2834.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, superb, 100% quality..Sums it up really.

Ron

B

beav1013

thanks guys. i did get very frustrated with this one at times. mostly painting issues, hence the new iwata brush... but overall i was pleased with the kit, it's hasegawa. and it was only 30 dollars so i can't complain too much.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now that is a first class build and paint job! And dude there are a ton of those service stencils!

It is a good kit and great value, I used it as the base for my RAF Phantom from 74 squadron. (which didn't have all those stencils on!!!)

Top job of an iconic aircraft.

Ian M

B

beav1013

thanks ian. i remember your build and you saying it was a good kit. as i went through this one, i looked at yours and saw not as many decals and was confused. even artwork on the box didnt have as much.

the only thing that irked me on the build was removing the reflectors (not sure if that's really what they are). there were 4 to remove, 2 on the nose under the canopy and 2 on the tail. i was "supposed" to remove the little triangles on the tail fins but i didnt think i could do that cleanly without screwing up the detail so i just left them. all 4 versions of the phantom that the kit is designed for tell you to remove these. then why not mold fins without them?!?! i dont get it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi jim, Phantastic! Excellent job , i love to see a nice spook, and great to see some little people in it too! The paintwork and panel line wash look spot on , top marks! cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Very nice build Jim. Love the paintwork, very good subtle toning in the colours must have been a painting challenge.

C

Caledonia

Hi Jim, you should be more than pleased with this effort, a real beauty, and a very well deserved 5 Star - EXCELLENT. Cheers Derek

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job on the wash, brings the panel detail out perfectly. The gentle shading on the panelling also works very well to give a very realistic overall finish.

B

beav1013

thanks guys. every time i use the pastel wash i like it more and more.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's a brillaint model of a great subject, I can see a lot of hard work went into this, and the result says it all. Great job. (If I had the space, I would build loads of Phantoms !)

Regards

Colin M........

B

beav1013

thanks colin. the phantom is definitely my favorite plane. it has a great look and there's so many variants with the different paint schemes. love em.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can only agree with you there, they are a real nice machine. I could easy find my self building another one some day, I rather fancy the RN bird from Ark Royal from Hasegawa.

Ian M