F84 Thunderstreak, Airfix, 1/72, Whatif

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
At the start of this I need to state that this build in no way reflects any personal political beliefs for obvious reasons

Its simply a way of using a suitable kit with suitable decals that fits a suitable historical timeline

Kit is a truly ancient Airfix F-84 which I acquired somewhere long ago with no decals…….i happen to have some pre and post-independence South African Air Force aftermarket decal sheets

The F84 is sort of right era……………aircraft they were using 50s to 70s were Vampire/F86 Sabre/Mirage III/Canberra/Impala

Plan is a camo scheme of the sort used on the Sabre

Just need to make sure I have the right paint

something like this......

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
At the start of this I need to state that this build in no way reflects any personal political beliefs for obvious reasons

Its simply a way of using a suitable kit with suitable decals that fits a suitable historical timeline

Kit is a truly ancient Airfix F-84 which I acquired somewhere long ago with no decals…….i happen to have some pre and post-independence South African Air Force aftermarket decal sheets

The F84 is sort of right era……………aircraft they were using 50s to 70s were Vampire/F86 Sabre/Mirage III/Canberra/Impala

Plan is a camo scheme of the sort used on the Sabre

Just need to make sure I have the right paint

something like this......

Now that's a classical looking Airfix box from way back. :smiling3:
Love the funky camo scheme, I'll tag along!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting……not a scheme I’ve seen before, and I haven’t seen one of those aircraft stands for years.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
it was a shock when i opened the box :smiling5:
Do you remember the really big ones you used to get with the large aircraft like lancasters……absolute blast from the past. We used to stick them back to back and make them into spaceships,….

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
one thing i hate about doing planes is holding them when spraying,,,,i usually come up with some idea for inserting a stick as a handle

this time ive drilled a hole in the jet pipe and stuck on a bit of tube.......ive even drilled a hole in the bulkhead where it wont be seen.........a bamboo bbq stick will go all the way in and become a handle......simples!! :smiling3:

and yes ive added some ballast and even even more behind the intake since i took the pic

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great paul , its going to look real good in the decals , cheers tony

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking great paul , its going to look real good in the decals , cheers tony
we shall see.....they aint the greatest......some south african aftermarket ones of indeterminate age (definatly pre-internet age!).....both pre and post Republic............ive used a few before and they are quite thick as i remember......watch this space lol