FDM PLA 3D printing - with a model making inclination

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Totally useless - but I printed out the vase from Thingiverse by 'Tubby__' it's about 130mm tall, 90 dia.
DSCF4132.JPG
Took just over an hour - 1 filament thick, printed in one continuous spiral. It's too thin to be of any real use - the grey filament prevents it from being decorative!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, you could always paint it Dave!
Pete

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I levelled the Z-axis, then levelled the build plate - taking the advice from Neil about the model data - I actually sliced the same base with a programme called Bambu ( a 3D printer maker ) - I'd read that this was quite good, so I gave it a whirl. I made extra sure that the base of the model was flat on the build datums.
DSCF4133.JPG
Although thesettimgs for printer & filament were the same, this seemed to print much more smoothly - this is the triangular infill on the base, about an hour into the three hour print.
This is the result
DSCF4137.JPG
More than happy with that, compared to the previous effort!

Looking at the bottom of the two prints ( new on the right ), I can see what has happened
DSCF4136.JPG
Thebuild plate didn't need levelling that much, but the printer only obeys what's on the gcode file.- the file yesterday didn't have the datum on the build plate, possibly a mm above it. The printer extruded the filament, and it stuck to the plate, but in a coarse uneven pattern, this then skewed the whole print. The new print on the right shows the sort of contact you need.
What I've learnt from this is the printer can be set up perfectly, but if the gcode file generated from the model is faulty, then the print will not be up to scratch!
If you're wondering about the cost of the material - I'm paying just under £11 for a 1 kg reel of PLA - which is 330m of 1.75mm dia filament, which runs out at 3.3p per metre. The slicer program tells me that the print uses 9.36m. so total cost was 32p. Setup & printer time not considered
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I printed out another diorama/vignette base from the same source - it wasn't 'till I printed it out that I realised what it was!
Both bases primed in Olive Drab ( first bottle to hand ). New print on the right
DSCF4138.JPGDSCF4139.JPG
................it's a tree stump, with roots........
Both of these could be scaled up/down to suit most scales - difficult thing would be finding a figure in the correct posture. There are a lot of other plain bases, with cobbles, paving etc. , but they didn't seem much of a test to print out.
I've been looking for suitable figures to go with these bases, but so far, not much luck. There are figures, but either they are suited to only resin printing, or are some weird dungeons & dragons/ fantasy/sci-fi things, which I don't fancy at all.
All the prints I've found have been from Thingiverse, and the conditions of use are - for private use only, and not for financial gain, which is fair enough. I have found a few models that you pay for, but - not yet!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A true model making effort - again from Thingiverse by ' PC_Model_Yard ' a 1/700 model of 'Bouvet' a French 1898 pre-dreadnought c. 175mm long
DSCF4141.JPG
Under flash light this looks pretty poor, but I'll wait until tomorrow & I'll prime it & give a verdict.
It also has 2 large turrets, two medium turrets, and 8 small turrets, all as separate prints - I don't think I have a hope of printing the gun barrels, but will probably just scratch the barrels onto the turrets. The fore and after bridge may not print very well, but I'll have to wait & see!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A true model making effort - again from Thingiverse by ' PC_Model_Yard ' a 1/700 model of 'Bouvet' a French 1898 pre-dreadnought c. 175mm long
View attachment 474152
Under flash light this looks pretty poor, but I'll wait until tomorrow & I'll prime it & give a verdict.
It also has 2 large turrets, two medium turrets, and 8 small turrets, all as separate prints - I don't think I have a hope of printing the gun barrels, but will probably just scratch the barrels onto the turrets. The fore and after bridge may not print very well, but I'll have to wait & see!
Dave
Something a bit different Dave. Interesting to see what she looks like under primer…..in the raw like that she looks a bit like an undersea weed covered wreck……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I am also interested in seeing the ship in primer. Straight from the printer the results do not photograph well, especially with flash.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm thinking that this model is more suited to resin printing - there's no comment saying which method of printing ( FDM or UV Curing ) it's meant for. I reckon that deciding which method, is just down to experience, trial & error.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having said the above, this morning I primed it & doesn't look too bad, however it does have a warp, or curl to the bows - this is a problem caused by trying to print too sharp an angle on the plate, the filament gets dragged back & doesn't stick.
I;m not going to post the picture of the primed model, I'm going to print out another, with a few tweaks to the settings. I don't have enough filament left on the spool, so a new spool of blue filament will make its debut.
I've been out for most of the day, and I think that the tweaked Bouvet will take at least 6 hours to print, so changing filament & printing can wait until tomorrow - I need a good nights sleep, all that fresh air has left me somewhat fatigued!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Second attempt at the Bouvet, tweaking settings & new filament, then primed
DSCF4143.JPGDSCF4144.JPG
That has come out better than I thought - it seems that each individual model should be assessed before slicing, and tweaks applied - I've still got a bit of warping at the stern, but not that noticeable, and I know which setting to alter to prevent that. I'm going to give the printer a bit of a rest, I need to finish the Renault UE, before any more 3D experiments
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good to take a break when you're on a high note. That looks good and your understanding is getting better all the time.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Dave. Layer lines are far less noticeable that I would have expected.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In looking to see which paint schemes the Bouvet carried there seems to a lot of conflicting illustrations. about how high the hull black was carried up - what colour the upperworks were, from ivory to buff. Of course, no colour photos!
bouvet.png
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Really admire the way you have got to grips with this printing , having the" I can " attitude.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OOOh - it had to happen, sooner or later - set up a print - the first layers seems to have stuck OK, so I went and had a little snooze - 2 hours later I return & find a whole mass of blue filament on the build plate & the part cooling duct on the floor. The models must have fallen off shortly after I left it - the extruder kept on extruding & the axes kept on moving, the mass of filament was dragged back and forwards, until it jammed under the cooling duct & pulled it off. Rather annoying - it printed five parts off OK before the failure - maybe the surface picked up some grease?
I've had prints not stick before, but it was generally in the first few minutes & I caught it - but this is the first 1 hour & 37 minutes of creating knitting.
This blue filament does seem a little less forgiving than my original grey stuff. I cleaned the build plate, then re-levelled it, & now it's printing the part out - this is a holder for a micro sd card reader extension, that arrived from China. One end plugs permanently into the mainboard & the other will fit on the top plate, where it is easily accessible - no more crawling around looking for escapees!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Have a stinking head cold & not feeling like doing much at all - but hopefully normal service wil be resumed as soon as possible...............
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Have a stinking head cold & not feeling like doing much at all - but hopefully normal service wil be resumed as soon as possible...............
Dave
Sorry to hear that Dave....something is doing the rounds.....we all have it in our house and so do several colleagues.