Federation Runabout USS Rio Grande

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Here we go then, thought it was time for me to start on a build. This is the lucky winner, and before some of you say "but you need to finish USS Voyager!". I know, but i need to learn the lighting effects so i don't make a mess of Voyager, plus with the Runabout being 1/72 scale i can learn to root everything around the model that has plenty of room inside.

Right, what have i done. I've made a start on the impulse engines, sanded the backs down so i can insert some clear plastic, then drilled out the rest of the white plastic and cleaned it up. I have started to scratch build the interior but no photos yet as it's just the superstructure for now.

Oh, and the reason i've gone for the Rio Grande is because it's the only runabout thats not been destroyed by the Jem'Hadar or the Cardassian's.

Have fun, John

View attachment 87981

View attachment 87982

View attachment 87983

View attachment 87984

View attachment 87985

View attachment 87986

20140701_143619.jpg

20140807_190428.jpg

20140807_190458.jpg

20140807_191226.jpg

20140807_192341.jpg

20140807_195135.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Yes Adrian, me own thanks to some RC aircraft stuff lol. The RC aircraft nav lights i got off e-bay for £5 so they will come in handy lol.

Have fun, John

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now I will be watching this , I'm hoping to get some of these at the Telford show so this will be good to see how it looks finished :smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Now I will be watching this , I'm hoping to get some of these at the Telford show so this will be good to see how it looks finished :smiling3:
I'll ask my friend to look up his loft for you Alan, a long time ago we did a few model shows and mainly sold Star Trek model as we got them for trade prices, most of what we didn't sell ended up in his mom's loft, I've had a couple of Enterprises and a Klingon bird of Prey from the stash up there :smiling3:

Adrian

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'll ask my friend to look up his loft for you Alan, a long time ago we did a few model shows and mainly sold Star Trek model as we got them for trade prices, most of what we didn't sell ended up in his mom's loft, I've had a couple of Enterprises and a Klingon bird of Prey from the stash up there :smiling3: Adrian
That's very decent of you Adrian thank you :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Had a pop into Maplin today and got something that i really needed, a new soldering iron. I think i have enough LED's, when i was looking on e-bay i thought it said "£5 for a reel, 300 led's". Oh no, it was 5 meters for £3 so i ordered 1 in blue and 2 in white so i ended up with enough for a good few builds.

Have fun, John

View attachment 88042

View attachment 88043

View attachment 88044

20140903_150314.jpg

20140903_150342.jpg

20140903_193805.jpg

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Had a pop into Maplin today and got something that i really needed, a new soldering iron. I think i have enough LED's, when i was looking on e-bay i thought it said "£5 for a reel, 300 led's". Oh no, it was 5 meters for £3 so i ordered 1 in blue and 2 in white so i ended up with enough for a good few builds.Have fun, John
Same iron I have, when I went in it was buy the solder get the iron free!!! Whom I to argue :smiling3:

Adrian

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Same iron I have, when I went in it was buy the solder get the iron free!!! Whom I to argue :smiling3: Adrian
Can't fault that Adrian, nice one.

A

Arronax

Are you aware that Federation Models stocks an interior kit for the Runabout? Go to the link and just do a search for Runabout. Made by Alliance, sells for $75. I've seen it and it's really nice. Of course, it was released a year after I scratchbuilt an interior. Let me know if you're looking for panel decal art.

Jim

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Jim, but i fancy scratch building the interior plus i've made a start too lol. As for panel detail i have a good few Star Trek technical manuals and one is Deep Space Nine technical manual, so i should be okay (famous last words). But if i fall foul i'll give you a shout, and again thanks, much appreciated.

As for the build, it's a little slow because "Poppy" is at that "i'm into everything" stage. But it's fun, and i'll have some photos later as i've done some work on the impulse engines.

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, the clear styrene sheet turned up today so the impulse engines are nearly finished. But i'm going to leave the front and back off until it's fully built, that way i can fit the mesh and clear styrene without masking up hehe. Inside the impulse engines i've partitioned the inlets and outlets for the different colour led's, and painted some light blocking. All i need to do now is to run wires ready for the warp engines.

Started cleaning up the fuselage but looks like it'll need some work for what i have installed for it.

Have fun, John

View attachment 88621

View attachment 88622

View attachment 88623

View attachment 88624

View attachment 88625

View attachment 88626

20140911_165013.jpg

20140911_165102.jpg

20140911_165131.jpg

20140911_165145.jpg

20140911_165227.jpg

20140911_165244.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Coming along nicely john, I always like the Danube class runabout , will you be scratch building the external weapons bay as well ?

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Coming along nicely john, I always like the Danube class runabout , will you be scratch building the external weapons bay as well ?
Thing is Alan mate, the Rio Grande didn't have the mission-specific pod in many of the tv shows. But if you have a look at the starships schematics it's on the runabout, plus, if it's in the box then it's going to get built. And it's in the box hehehe.

Have fun, John

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thing is Alan mate, the Rio Grande didn't have the mission-specific pod in many of the tv shows. But if you have a look at the starships schematics it's on the runabout, plus, if it's in the box then it's going to get built. And it's in the box hehehe.Have fun, John
Nice one :smiling3: if I'm right I think reo grand was one if not the only runabout to survive it's time at DS9 :D

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Nice one :smiling3: if I'm right I think reo grand was one if not the only runabout to survive it's time at DS9 :D
And thats why i'm building the Rio Grande matey, plus in the Star Trek universe she has a lot of history.

Have fun, John

A

Arronax

I had the same idea about building the Runabout interior. They actually announced the interior kit the next year after I entered my model at Wonderfest (Louisville, Kentucky, USA) although it took three years to appear!

My interior was scratchbuilt entirely from sheet styrene and sprue. The decals were printed on a color laser (which I had access to at work) but they're still translucent.

The lighting is simple and connects to two brass tubes that plug into the base and can, therefore, be easily removed from the base.

The completed Runabout (the Thames, by the way, since I am English) was part of a Shuttle Museum display I built using 1/72nd scale shuttles from Federation Models. The last photo shows the display - the Space Shuttle image on the floor is also to scale.

One last thing that you've probably already found out is that the model has a TARDIS factor. The scale on the inside is smaller that the outside. Put simply, a 1/72nd scale figure can't stand up once you've put in a floor and ceiling.

Jim

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Just popped on to let you all know i havn't forgot about this build, but work has slowed down somewhat. I've tried three times to make a part and the muppit called "Poppy" has wipped off with it lol.

Imagine this thing running faster than me with a warp engine in it's mouth and you'll get the picture.

I'll be back at it as soon as i can get five minutes...........

Have fun, John