Figure painting books

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well,Tim seems to have covered just about EVERYTHING there John!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
However,NOT the Osprey book which i was recommended a few years ago,and swear by it.......
View attachment 439030
Yes,i know it`s Fallschirmjager based,BUT,the tips/methods are applicable to all figures..... and SO clear with excellent narrative..... top stuff!!:thumb2:
HTHs,
Andy,(Love to Christine from us both too:smiling:).
Same guy that has done the face SBS I posted above Andy. If it’s as good as that its well worth a look.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve just had a look, and the Gazquez book I’ve posted is very hard to find unfortunately John. It seems to be going for stupid money…..it obviously needs to be reprinted…..

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’ve just had a look, and the Gazquez book I’ve posted is very hard to find unfortunately John. It seems to be going for stupid money…..it obviously needs to be reprinted…..
Indeed Tim,
...... and yes,it`s definitely well worth a look:thumb2:,
Andy
Thanks both, now have some ideas what to look for, of course once you start looking it becomes a massive hive of information. Don't expect momentous changes to my figures, just hope I can learn something.:smiling3::thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The only way to approach this is to take what you want to try, and leave the rest John. After a while you will develop your own skill set and style. Don’t try to slavishly copy anything. It won’t work for you like it does for the originator because you are a different person with a different agenda. The only real way to learn is to push paint around as often as you can using the available sources as a pointer.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The only real way to learn is to push paint around as often as you can using the available sources as a pointer.
I think that I agree, but so far I'm just making right horror movie stuff - might just go back to 'featurless' faces with the eyes, lips etc. not picked out.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think that I agree, but so far I'm just making right horror movie stuff - might just go back to 'featurless' faces with the eyes, lips etc. not picked out.
Try the Vallejo flesh wash 4515CCCA-904B-46CB-81EF-388BC2B12610.jpegover a solid covering (two thin coats) of basic skin tone Gerry. It brings the figures to life so well it’s like liquid talent :thumb2: It will work on anything up to around 1/35th in size.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The only way to approach this is to take what you want to try, and leave the rest John. After a while you will develop your own skill set and style. Don’t try to slavishly copy anything. It won’t work for you like it does for the originator because you are a different person with a different agenda. The only real way to learn is to push paint around as often as you can using the available sources as a pointer.
I agree with what Tim has said. You will eventually find a comfortable style of your own with practice. You must first learn the art of handling your brush and the strokes and amount of paint applied. Never totally fill your brush up, perhaps only halfway as that will keep the point sharp. Work in sections for example divide the face to forehead, cheeks, nose, eyes, chin, lips and ears. Finally the hair and eyebrows. You can start with either light to dark or dark to light pigments whichever is comfortable with you or both in tandem.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I agree with what Tim has said. You will eventually find a comfortable style of your own with practice. You must first learn the art of handling your brush and the strokes and amount of paint applied. Never totally fill your brush up, perhaps only halfway as that will keep the point sharp. Work in sections for example divide the face to forehead, cheeks, nose, eyes, chin, lips and ears. Finally the hair and eyebrows. You can start with either light to dark or dark to light pigments whichever is comfortable with you or both in tandem.

Cheers,
Richard
Agreed Richard. Apart from when applying washes, the brush needs to be loaded with paint, then unloaded again before painting. If the paint floods off when the brush is touched to the model there is too much paint on there. Wick the excess off on a scrap of copier paper or paper towel before trying to paint with it. The control you gain is immeasurable. The paint will then come off the brush in response to the pressure applied.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Try the Vallejo flesh wash View attachment 439491over a solid covering (two thin coats) of basic skin tone Gerry. It brings the figures to life so well it’s like liquid talent :thumb2: It will work on anything up to around 1/35th in size.
Will have to try that - just at the moment, the figures would look better in the big top with a car that falls apart! :tongue-out: :tongue-out:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will have to try that - just at the moment, the figures would look better in the big top with a car that falls apart! :tongue-out: :tongue-out:
Gerry

Tim put me into the flesh wash and it has literally revolutionised my very poor figure painting attempts.

You won't regret it.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
We’ve all been there Gerry…..usually with big staring eyes as well…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another good set of face painting references here John….if nothing else it will show you how many ways you can slice and dice this to get good results.