Finished - Adolf Galland's 109E-4N Battle of Britain build part 1 finished

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Here's the first of my BoB builds. I've tried to capture Adolf Galland's aircraft as it would have appeared some time around the end of November 1940.

The kit is Eduard's superb 109E-7 with only minor alts: leading edge slats were shortened across the cord, new Eduard Brassin wheel sets and RB harness.

Adolf himself is gleefully leaping from his machine (doubtless after another victory) and is a Doug's Original production.

Here's a lot of pics I hope you like them.

Cheers P

Part 2 of my BoB builds can be found here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/battle-of-britain-1-32-ju87-b-2-build-trumpeter-complete.27098/#post-207082

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gregg
Amazing paintwork and such attention to detail!

Excellent 5 stars + for sure.

Gregg

O

omi1966

Great detail sir impressive, love the cones on the ariel, also the weathering is nice and subtle and not over done.

big 5 from me.

martin

M

mobear

really fantastically done,i tip my hat to you and give you 5*s,this id stunning and i love Mr galland he looks good

mobear

T

tecdes

Youch that is brilliant Paul. A very stunning model.

Hope I can get near this standard one day.

Could you impart some knowledge Paul ? For instance the underide of the tail piece. Tried on my Swordfish (not very good) to achieve what you have achieved with the weathering. That nice darkening around the raised rib area. That is spot on.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's often said but I really, really do appreciate you taking the time to stop by and pass comment.

Laurie, the darkening around the fabric ribs on the underneath of the horizontal stabilisers is just pre-shading. Forgive me if you're familiar with the technique but it involves darkening panel lines, rib detail and anything with depth with a dark colour (I simply used thinned black) before you spray the final colour. You apply the final colour in light coats, concentrating in the middle of panels where the colour is lightest. If done correctly you should still see some of the pre-shade in the darker recesses - ribbing for instance.

I'm sorry I took this build very quickly and didn't photograph the stages but I have 4 more 109s to complete and I didn't want to bore anyone! When I complete the E3 builds (both Eduard and Cyber Hobby kits) I'll do a blow by blow account.

Hope I've helped

Cheers

P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, stunning work Paul, this is top shelf stuff. Did you include Mr Galland's ashtray? He must've had a long flight, his cigar looks shorter than usual.

C

Cooperman69

One word sums it up from me - amazing! :smiling3: 5*

I'd like to try on my next build the ariel wire detail you have fitted. Would you be kind enough to impart some details on how you do it i.e. materials and technique?

Atb, Colin

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Brilliant work - love it, just the right level of weathering.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Laurie, the darkening around the fabric ribs on the underneath of the horizontal stabilisers is just pre-shading. Forgive me if you're familiar with the technique but it involves darkening panel lines, rib detail and anything with depth with a dark colour (I simply used thinned black) before you spray the final colour. You apply the final colour in light coats, concentrating in the middle of panels where the colour is lightest. If done correctly you should still see some of the pre-shade in the darker recesses - ribbing for instance.

P
Thanks Paul for your time & explanation. Got to admit I have voided pre shading, actually all shading until recently, just edging my way slowly. Looking at your results gives me an edge to have a go. Thanks.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful as always Paul*****.

Looking forward to seeing the next one in the series!

Gern

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Absolutely superb........ Fantastic attention to detail. :score: from me.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Peter

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
wow,extremely nice

the one thing that always puts me off doing something like this is the mottle camo, but thats spot on!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nothing to add to what's been said. That's truly the dog's danglies!

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Well Paul that has got to be as close as anyone can get to a faultless model. Absolutely stunning paintwork even close-up. Deserves more than 5 Star. Cheers Derek

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys for the support I truly am grateful. I should thank Steve also for confirming, or at least ruling out, some details regarding the profile of this machine.

I think I really will be finishing the 2 Fokker Dr 1s that are still on the bench now as I think I'm ready for them. After that, I really can't decide which BoB kit to start next - could be a Heinkel 111 with full crew, PCM Hurricane with Bader figure or, if they arrive in time, 2 Revell Spits with scrambling pilots.

If anyone's has a preference then give me a shout.

Thanks everyone

P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a jaw dropper! Superb work. Five stars don't even come close.

As for the next subject.. He111 with full crew please. :smiling:

Ian M