FINISHED- F-22A Raptor - 1:72 Academy

C

Caledonia

A few shots of my latest efforts. An out of the box build with the addition of the Eduard Zoom set. Kit comes with a good selection of weapons, only two problems were the horrible intakes and a lot of ejection pin holes.

View attachment 60491View attachment 60492View attachment 60493View attachment 60494View attachment 60495View attachment 60496View attachment 60497View attachment 60498View attachment 60499View attachment 60500View attachment 60501

Additionally a couple of shots for comparison of the Sukhoi T-50 (Zvezda kit) which is, as you probably know, the Russians challenger. I think the F-22A has it on looks, a very sleek machine.

View attachment 60502View attachment 60503

Cheers Derek

View attachment 62107

View attachment 62108

View attachment 62109

View attachment 62110

View attachment 62111

View attachment 62112

View attachment 62113

View attachment 62114

View attachment 62115

View attachment 62116

View attachment 62117

View attachment 62118

View attachment 62119

F0.jpg

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

F8.jpg

F9.jpg

F10.jpg

F11.jpg

F12.jpg

Last edited:
P

Plastickitbasher

Very nice build, loads of kudos for using PE in 1/72nd. You're right the F-22A has the looks the T-50 does look a bit mean. Good job all round

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful build derek! The paintjob is superb , youve captured the elusive metallic sheen spot on. This is a very difficult scheme to get right , several different shades of grey in awkward patterns plus the sheen , but youve nailed it , I wish I could give more than 5 stars but here they are anyway , Fantastic work mate , Cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a beaut Derek.

Very clean and sharp. Just how did you get that sheen. Did you use a metallic or pear additive to the paint...?

Very well done and Five well earned stars.

Ian M

M

mobear

5* builds all the way,really love the colourisation of the raptor,might look at this myself lol

mobear

T

TonyBv9

Excellent build. I just called to SWMBO: "Look, this bloke's done 50 shades of grey" and she was almost interested.

B

batcode

great job flip hope mine come out as half as good , fantastic paint job:no1b:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very difficult paint job well sorted. Great result.

C

Caledonia

Thanks very much for your kind comments gents, they are very much appreciated. I forgot to link the 'under construction' site - here it is - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/18105-f-22a-raptor-1-72-academy.html for those who want to try the paint system I used. The lighter grey goes on with a natural sheen, where as the darker grey went on flat. I gave the model two coats of Vallejo Acrylic Gloss Varnish - Permanent; P/N 26.517. This gave the model a deep metallic lustre finish especially to the darker flat grey which I was quite pleased with. I also forgot to mention the kit came with wing tanks which I chose to leave off.

The spraying of the super metallic mix was a bit of a problem until I found the best way was to apply plenty of air but use the minimum of paint - mist it on, when I found this was the best technique, it went on easy.

The Eduard Zoom set came with P.E. for the air to air missile bay, see photo attached.

View attachment 60544

Cheers Derek

View attachment 62158

F13.jpg

First Name
Michael
fantastic job Derek, love both of them, the paint finish is superb, I think the the T-50 is the better looking plane, but thats just me. Top work!!! M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Love that Raptor. ***** more for your collection.

Gern

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind comments lads. I have done a fair amount of models since returning to the hobby, but I am still surprised how some 'simple' 1:72 kits need a lot of work, this is one of them. I would recommend it to anyone with a fair amount of patience. Cheers Derek

F

Fishpot11

Great models! Paintjob fenomenal!

Did u paint canopies with some sort of fume'?

Awesome

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Great models! Paintjob fenomenal!Did u paint canopies with some sort of fume'?

Awesome
Many thanks for your comments. The kit came with the two options of a clear or smoked canopy. I used the clear one as a mask during painting and replaced it with the smoked one for the finished model. Cheers Derek

p.s. You can see the build log here which includes the paints used. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/18105-f-22a-raptor-1-72-academy.html