Finished Not A GB Airfix Mk I Hurricane 1:72

F

Fenlander

Well, this has been the most fun kit I have made all year. I really expected it, as an old Airfix kit costing a fiver, to be horrible. OK, it doesn't have an interior to the cockpit and the canopy is not that well moulded (which stops the lack of an interior being a problem). Weirdly, the tail fin is off centre, but who cares. OK, there is no wheel wells....Just don't look underneath, and the surface detail is raised... But fun per buck, it outclassed anything I have built as a kit. It was really great fun to build.

Anyway, not brilliant but here she is all matted down and finished. With nothing else to do, or not much anyway, this can be built, painted, decaled and finished in one day. I nearly managed it but I just had too many distractions.

OK, the final pics. Hope you agree, it is not that bad a kit.

D

dm73

Wow, not to shabby for only taking nearly a day, looks like it took a lot longer, i see what you mean about the wonky tail, great work as usual Graham.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A very nice, neat 1/72 build, Graham.

Well done.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done. Hard to believe that it's 1/498 scale! Seriously it's a little cracker.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

Lovely job, the tail on my spit was wonky too, it was all canted to one side, initially I thought i'd gotten the dihedral on the wings well out but realised it was the tail, a dip in a cup of boiling water and some gentle persuasion sorted it though.

F

Fenlander

Hard to believe that it's 1/498 scale!
Nuts Steve :laughing:

Cheers guys lol. Have I caught the 1:72 bug? Well, I must admit, I wouldn't mind doing a really good kit just to check out the difference. But really, nooooo, 1:72 is not for me other than maybe a multi (4) engined WWII Bomber.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Graham, that's as good a finish on an aircraft as you can get. I got rid of 3 of these kits a few weeks ago, you're making me wish I hadn't now!

Excellent 1/72 Hurricane.

Well done mate!

Paul

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic job Graham. and with very little self injury too.

Andy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one Graham.

P'raps some of today's younger generation will be able to appreciate why Airfix was so popular back in the days of our youth (all those many, many years ago!). Even with the limitations present, it's still possible to produce some nice looking aeroplanes from their kits.

Gern

A

andygh

Bloomin lovely, another one to add to my christmas list for santa

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
That a little gem Graham, very nice. I don't think we're bothered about accurate the models are just so long as we enjoy the hobby.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Graham. Made a good job of that!

F

Flying Scottiedog

If i could get one of mine to look like yours Graham i would be happy. excelente work that man!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi graham, thats a beautiful looking hurricane, well done. It just proves that you dont need a pile of money or aftermarket extras to be able to make a superb looking model. As for the tail, im no expert on hurricanes but im sure that the tail was offset to port slightly to counteract the yawing effect of the engines torque, so airfix might have got it spot on, I stand to be corrected by someone who knows their stuff though! Now that weve got you doing 1/72 its only a slight step down to some 1/144 fighters, better get some bigger magnification lenses for the headset!!! 5 star build mate and quick too!! cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Interesting idea re the offset tail Tony!! Wonder if there is anything in that, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers for the comments, it was fun, would a 1:144 be fun? I don't know, only one way to find out I suppose lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Go on graham, you know you want to!!!! If you do id recommend the sweet kits , especially the bf109f its a cracker, cheers tony