Finished P47 Thunderbolt

B

beav1013

Hey guys. I've been a little busy lately: we bought a new house and it needs some renovations, Zoey is 14 months already and causing trouble left and right (the good kind), and we're pregnant again (due in late July). This time it's a boy! Hopefully I'll turn him into a little modelling buddy...

Anywho, I worked on this guy for about 2 months I guess. I painted the tail checker pattern using the decal as a sort of template. I just used yellow tape to mask it off, so it's not "exactly" like the decal but it's close enough.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I used alclad for the metal and tamiya acrylics for the color. I did some dot filtering with white and grey enamels on the alclad to try and give it a weathered look. I think it came out pretty good. It's not exactly like i had in my mind, but I like it. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Comments welcome.

View attachment 61316

View attachment 61317

View attachment 61318

View attachment 61319

View attachment 61320

View attachment 61321

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
"overall i'm pleased with it" Youre joking Jim! you should be over the moon , this is fantastic! the metal finish is excellent , and the checkered tail paintwork is superbly done , so much better than a decal could ever look. 5 star build for sure , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's an outstanding build Jim with some really subtle and authentic weathering a build to be proud of. A big 5* from me. My only observation and this not a criticism is that the rake of the undercarriage is a little upright, see image of the P47D at Duxford, which is due to the fact that you have unfortunately got the undercarriage round the wrong way. Hopefully you will be able to correct it.

View attachment 61331

IMG_0134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

beav1013

thanks tony and vaughn, I appreciate it. there were a couple things that i noticed along the way and at the end tony that made me a little annoyed. you probably wouldn't notice most of them if you're not holding it in your hand, which i am...

vaughn: Noooooooooooooo!!! i had to repaint the interior green on the wheel well covers and must've switched them when attaching. that is incredibly annoying, i hate when i do that. maybe fixable... i'll have to take a look.

thanks for the comments and the 5 *

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Been there, done that, as have many of us. Apart from the landing gear issue, fantastic finish to your 'Jug', Jim.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off Jim what a cracking avatar picture...Great smiles and a load of mischief in Zoey's eyes! Top Dollar......

The finish on the aircraft is superb and the checker work is first class.

Very nice indeed.

Ron

B

Bunkerbarge

The weathering and finishes are absolutely superb and the chequer tail is amazing. I would not get anywhere near as good as that! I would also never have noticed the wheels!! Everything about the finish of this model is beautiful and it deserves being in a case as soon as possible.

Just one point that catches my eye and if it is lighting I apologise. Did you put the transfers on the top of the wing after you did the washes? It looks like the washes are not over the large markings on the top of the wings so the marking are not quite as "painted on" as they would look with the washes over the top. I suspect it may be the angle or the lighting as you have obviously washed over the nose artwork.

B

beav1013

Thanks Ron and bunker. I appreciate it.

Bunker, I got the kit at an air show and am pretty sure it's at least 10-15 years old. Some of the decals responded well to the setting solution and some didn't. None of them really settled down into the lines too well.

Part of the fun of buying a hasegawa kit for $10 I guess.

B

Bunkerbarge

In which case I really am completely blown away with this!! It is a stunning kit and if you got it for 10 bucks you are a shining example of just how much enjoyment can be obtained without having to spend a fortune.

First Name
Dave
That metal finish and weathering is a bit special Jim.Wish I had your paint skills.

First Name
Michael
Jim, that's one beautiful bubble top, great work and congratulations on your expanding family. M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Top work Jim, the paint job is top notch, and I wouldn't have noticed the undercarriage either if Vaughan hadn't pointed it out.

Definately a 5 star build mate.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Hey Jim congrats to you and the Missus ,very exciting having a new bundle of joy on the way! The Jug looks awesome,love the streaking stains they look very authentic! I too had to tweak the gear on my recent Jug build,hope yours is an easy fix as well. Really a top notch looking build! Very nicely done Sir!

B

beav1013

thanks tony and trey, i appreciate it.

i gave a brief attempt at fixing the error today to no avail. i might take another try at it at some point but i think it might be a lost cause. i'm very afraid i would snap the landing gear off trying to pry/cut off the wheel well cover. we'll see, but it might be a lost cause... o well.

thanks again.

First Name
Chris
That there is fantastic build of an awesome aircraft. Beautiful work Jim, very nice indeed.

Regards

Chris