Finished P47 Thunderbolt

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
thanks tony and trey, i appreciate it.i gave a brief attempt at fixing the error today to no avail. i might take another try at it at some point but i think it might be a lost cause. i'm very afraid i would snap the landing gear off trying to pry/cut off the wheel well cover. we'll see, but it might be a lost cause... o well.

thanks again.
Put it on your display shelf 'as is' Jim. Most folks will be too busy ogling your excellent painting skills to spot the mistake with the undercarriage.

Gern

B

beav1013

thanks alex and gern. i appreciate the compliments on the paint job.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An excellent example of the P47 - well done. 'Dot filtering' not a term I'm familiar with - go on then, you'll have to tell me.

Colin M..

B

beav1013

Thanks Colin and Jim.

Colin, dot filtering is kind of like applying a wash. I use acrylic paints for the main color and seal it with a clear. Then put small dots of enamel paint around the model to break up the base color or to weather it.

I normally don't wait until they're dry but you probably could, I'll take a thick brush damp with thinner and work the dots into the paint. When done, you shouldn't see any remnants of the dots themselves, but there Should be a filter/haze now over the base in the hue of the dots you used.

It's good for streaking on armor as well, just drag the dots down to look like wear and grime.

Hope that helps. And the good thin is if you don't like the results just wipe it off since its enamel over acrylic. Using a gloss vs a flat clear coat also gives some varying results.

Good luck

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Forgot to add congrats on the family Jim. As for the Thunderbolt, to be honest I never noticed the landing gear doors until it was pointed out to me. Display the 'Juggernaut' as it is, I have many kits with small defects which no one else seems to notice. The finish on it is absolutely fantastic, as Dave says it distracts from the small error anyway. Cheers.

B

beav1013

Thanks Joe. We're very excited to get the new little guy here.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen this. Great job.

Lovely finish on the BMF

Five stars for the build and five more for that wonderful bundle of joy in your icon! cute.

ian m

W

Waffen Bucks

Holy lord!!!!!! Just jaw dropping...stunning, utterly stunning. I've had to look at these photos over and over because at first i thought they were photoshop images (no offence). Fantastic work!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

beav1013

Thanks bucks! I don't know how thinking they were photoshopped would be offensive, that's a pretty significant compliment from my perspective.

I appreciate it!

W

Waffen Bucks

They just look to good to be true Jim :thumbsup: Amazing skill involved in that build.