FISHERMAN DIO-DO YOU THINK THEY WILL SELL AND WHAT FOR? WHAT DO YA THINK GUYS?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi fellas.

I have had some interest in my fisherman dio. So have got some 4x4 mdf plaques, fishermen in various positions, got all the wood planking etc, so going to make up and sell them. I have three to do make up and each fisherman will doing something different, the rest will look similar to my original dio here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/my-fisherman-diorama-looking-out-to-sea.19470/

So, do you think they may sell? I am going to bung one on fleabay and see how it does and the other two will sell at my local boat club...hopefully :smiling3: But what should I sell them for, how much would you pay for one of them? Costings, looking at around £6ish in materials then there is my build time, reckon I could probably get one out in two days.

So, what do you think? Opinion please.

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
They are nice pieces Si, and I'm sure they would sell.....The trouble is the costing....

Any one offs and home crafted stuff, be it a model or knitting is bound to sell at a loss when the builder's time is accounted for.

You write two days per model....so that means to recoup your time you would have to charge say £200, which is obviously way too much. It's a difficult one mate, and I truly don't know what I would pay for one.

I suppose the only way is to test the water and put one on Ebay and see what happens...

Sorry, all a bit negative and wishy washy, so all I can do is wish you all the best with your plan.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
They are nice pieces Si, and I'm sure they would sell.....The trouble is the costing....Any one offs and home crafted stuff, be it a model or knitting is bound to sell at a loss when the builder's time is accounted for.

You write two days per model....so that means to recoup your time you would have to charge say £200, which is obviously way too much. It's a difficult one mate, and I truly don't know what I would pay for one.

I suppose the only way is to test the water and put one on Ebay and see what happens...

Sorry, all a bit negative and wishy washy, so all I can do is wish you all the best with your plan.

Ron
I agree Ron, and the idea is to test the water and just have a laugh while doing them and seeing what develops. You're right of course, nobody is going to pay £50 never mind £200 for a model, but I was thinking maybe the £20 range. That would cover the costs of the materials and give around a tenner or so per model, not a lot, but a realistic price. It is a tricky one.

I am also thinking of doing another sunken U-boat model to sell, had a few folk after one, even one from America.

Thanks for your input mate.

First Name
rob
si, ive been flogging a lot of my early stuff on ebay. i usually get a couple of quid more than what i paid for the kit. thing is mate, i love the thought of somebody else enjoying my work so its very satisfying seeing them sell. what return i get just makes my hobby almost free . i also got a few commisions out of it. as an example ....im doing a 1.350 warship dio...cost me 35 quid for the kit and im charging the guy 60 quid and that includes postage! i would guess your sunken sub would fetch about 40 but i know the skill and time makes it seem criminal. try it mate, at least it should pay for your next model

First Name
rob
me and the missus reckon 20quid for the fisherman. she reckons people will love them as bathroom ornaments and suggests that you should try mounting one on a piece of driftwood

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Si put down in the discription that it's hand made painted and one of a kind all the usual stuff and you could be looking a big price how big is the fisherman dio ?

I live by a seaside town and crappy plaster ones go for about £40 for a six inch figure like yours so you could be looking at double that figure simply because it's one of a kind call it a special addition :smiling3: if you sell them as a set then you could be looking at a bigger price make sure you put your sig on the bottom :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks fellas. I had forgotten all about this thread. The sub commission fell through, and I am not well enough to attempt making these fishermen at the moment, so they are on the back burner for sometime yet. But nice to have your thoughts about them, thanks for that.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There is money in dios. Not sure there's this much though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221320224962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Gern

C

CDW

Christ that's a tad on the rich side !!

You wanna buy my mash dio for £300 Dave.? :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice as it is Col, I can't afford it! I'll have to plod on making my own.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sold! When d'you want to collect him? (For that price I'll meet you half way!).

Gern

W

Willi262

You could try your luck at some kind of "arts and crafts" fair/festival.

Work the "unique" and "one of a kind handcrafted" angle.

Probably get away with asking 20-40 £ for each. If I know anything about old biddies with fond memories of the sea, then you should make a killing at any arts market that is reasonably in land. Or such is my opinion...