Foam Board source in UK

D

duncan

Anybody know a source of 5mm foam-board. That is the stuff used for mounting photographs. Looks like pizza tray with paper on both sizes. Need larger than normally found in art supply shops. I believe architectural models use it. Thanks.

A

adzam

you could possibly try a photorgraphic wholesale or, try a local camera shop.

other than that mate a architectural material supplier.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Art and Craft shops sell it,also picture framers use it as backing for pictures.

The white board is about £8.50 per panel and the black is double the price for some reason ? makes a great building board after mounting onto a flat surface with spraymount adhesive,takes pins easily and a pleasure to use.

If you need a wholesale source try a search on the net via Google.

D

duncan

Tried that,need 3 or 4 foot panels, think manufacturer is the answer.:neutral:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
See what you mean,I have seen large panels used in display advertising so perhaps studio display people would be a possible lead here ? keep trying and I will look also.

W

Wowbagger

Yes, good modeling material. Not in the same leaque as Wonwinglo's complete foamboard aircraft but, the booms on the twin boom pusher pic attached were from foamboard too. Worked well, never any problem, and took Solarfilm without problems.

I've seen footage of an 80" span completely foamboard delta flying in America. Lovely!

View attachment 6851

/monthly_2004_04/Orange3-.jpg.5c46d6c50b802c830a72bdee4476828f.jpg

View attachment 11496

View attachment 12146

Orange3-.jpg

D

duncan

Great pics guys, Foam is for a mate who has got a set of plans from US for a Mud Duck. He thought it was for a 25 , so it was...25cc ! it`is ginormous, kinda cute as they would say. Sort of Lazy bee cultish. However a free set of a low-wing version called Agri-Duck (crop-dusterish) took my fancy and the plan is free. may be a winter project for me:thumbs:

D

duncan

Thanks for ideas guys, Ive found a source in Scotland . There are three UK sources for the stuff. No wonder I couldnt find it...try www.fomecor.com. What a variety including a "wood look finish", just the job for the finger-pokers who ask "what s it made of?":smiling5:

M

Matthew Wetton

Foam Board source UK

Anybody know a source of 5mm foam-board. That is the stuff used for mounting photographs. Looks like pizza tray with paper on both sizes. Need larger than normally found in art supply shops. I believe architectural models use it. Thanks.
My Company M2 Products Ltd "The Foam Board Factory" are the only manufacturer of Foam Board in the UK. 3mm, 5mm and 10mm is produced in Essex. White paper liners each side with white foam or we can produce 5mm with combinations of Black, White or Grey paper liners with either white of black foam. Maximum width of boards is 1524mm by 3000mm length. We produce down to A4 size and supply in boxes. We also have a sister company in France who can supply M2 with "Blue Foam".

I would like to investigate growing this market. Anybody like to build me a prototype plane with plans so that I can market my foam products in the UK?

D

duncan

You `ve got a deal. PM me. I`ve got plans for crop-duster type, biggish and slow flying.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Matthew,there is already a design called the 'Mud Duck' that utilises foam board for its construction,it has been introduced as a kit and also available as plans in the U.S.A.

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Matthew as foam board is basicly Depron coverd with quality paper its a doddle to transfer most of the free depron designs over if they are not too curvy ..the added wt can cause problems on smaller models but they usually peel it off one or both sideds....

Teaching science and DT I've used it quite a bit........ in fact Duncan - most primary and virtually all secondary schools use lots of the stuff...they tend to buy it through the education suppliers which dictates cost /size/thicknesses.

Its ideal for building boxy fuselages for old timers and trainers.. Mathew Follow the SPAD design links in my Flyingboats and Seaplanes- Free plans usefull links thread - most things you can build from correx you can build from this stuff with a bit of imagination .....theres hundreds of free plans out there for SPADS...have a look at Barny and the Spad lazy B.

The wings a bit trickier......needs thinner stuff single or no papper layer...or use Correx.

:regards:

Last edited:
A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Duncan have you got more views of that thing and plans..I love it what size motor does it use?

D

duncan

Ooh, I dont like those two...very bland and formless. The Mud Duck has a certain angular pure ugliness. The rudder doesnt look right and the depth of the fuz is too deep. The wheels are pure madness, tractor size. Some of the early Soviet transports would be good for foamcore cartoon scale biggies. Wondering about flying boat hulls with a skin of fibreglass for waterproofing ?

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Chunkies a triangle! ..:shutup3: how angular can you get short of a Vogon brick.....................?????????????????????????????????????????????????

:thinking: Try a cartoon Giant Jabbawocky Bipe and use a plastic plant pot or basin for the cowl.......circles clashing with angles and a spare set of wings is that mad enough for you or are we talking Govern ...Rab C here?????

There comes a point when even a Cessna or a Cub starts looking good........sic......Duncan.

To all you other poor devils thinking....... hes flipped .......well your probably right...but I think I know Duncan when hes on a wind up:praying:

do you remember the free depron early Avro mono plane plans offered in RCM&E some time back how about increasing them from 30" to say double or triple size???

As for flyingboats all I will say is try a Short Knuckleduster............and no Im not threatening Duncan!

Last edited: