Foam Board source in UK

D

duncan

How about the Facet...origami in the ski. Yep the Glasgow Kiss(Knuckleduster) would do nicely and The big Beardmore thingy (Inverness?). Any of the early Dorniers even a Do X. Not a Jabberwock, it is a classic as is, scale look-alike. Waco-ish. Rab C Nisbet, the Govan philosopher and fashion icon, my hero ! Early Avro,tut tut, now you are getting sacrilegious. As my dear old dad used to say "never mock the afflicted".

Last edited:
D

duncan

Another two "kinda uglies" for foamboard bashers. Found plans for them on ebay, by Peter Rake they could be doubled from 40"ish to bignugly. They are Renard R-17 and a parasol Peyret-Nessler from the 1930s. Whadya think ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
de havilland Dragon in Foamboard.

Well I like my models to be different from the run of the mill stuff, for years now I have been building flying models of Dragon Rapides,as I needed to experiment with foamboard I opted for a DH.84 Dragon with its boxy fuselage,powered with two Speed 400 standard motors off a single heavy duty speed controller,this model was purely proof of concept with no frills,the idea was to get a twin scaleish electric flying,once all of the problems had been sorted then I could build a bigger and better example,the beauty of electric is you dont need any fuel proofing,in fact the Dragon was just given a quick spray with ladies hair spray from a pound shop,it just kept the model free of fingermarks,everything is kept simple,the motors were a slide fit into a former which had blue foam either side,the wings were basically flat flat with balsa leading edges and trailing edges,I used this on my old Jinty free flight designs years ago and whilst you do not get the lift of a proper aerofoil it is sufficent to fly,but once I have worked out a way to use foamboard with a curvature then another model will be built,well the crux was how did she fly ? first attempts she would not lift off the ground,a few degrees of incidence on the wings and she was away climbing for the clouds,if you have never handled a twin electric then go for one,they are utterly reliable with non of the problems associated with IC where vibration can set in and cause engine failures,the Dragon taught me a lot not only about the use of this wonderful foamboard material,but how to wire in twin electrics as well,materials like this are idea for not only boxy models,but as internal structure for those with a round fuselage,you just plank or sheet with balsa cladding,you save on weight and the structure is tough as well.

I have plans to build an Avro Anson and already done some provisional drawings for her,and certainly another Dragon is on the books as well.
114d9e3d0.jpg

D

duncan

Good info barry re electrics. The Dragon is too pretty to qualify for the "big ugly league" though. Had my first flight in a Rapide, now there IS beauty! The Duck has a Jedelski wing , see flying shot above and has span-wise cuts on the bottom of the max airfoil curve, 1st third. More cuts smoother profile.

Last edited:
A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

In my flyingboats link page...

You will find links to Eric Payens depron Sea otter....take a look at his design for a tube spar wing simple and one better than a Jed wing......

the other answer is possibly to use Correx as well........pay a visit to your local supermarkets milk section -small about 2ft long x 1.4ft sheets of light 2mm white correx are used as layer seperators in the boxes of small Milk Cartons you see them on the shelves ask some one to put them aside they normally end up in the bin and therefore land fill......I saved a hundred in a period of weeks for a school SPAD chuck glider progect.

My prototype went for 80 to 100ft on a good launch.

How about a semi profile XB70 Valkrie

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
So there are a few ways to curve the foamboard for a thickish wing,1/remove one layer of card and score lines on lover card,cover foam with iron on film.

2/Score lines through one layer of Foamboard,take blade and slice out a small wedge thus the board will bend easier,ie close up the wedge.

4/Is there a thinner board available yet ?

Finish can also be achieved with car auto sprays,edges are sealed with thinned PVA adhesive,still plenty of room for experimentation,especially with use on wings.

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

How about the Facet...origami in the ski. Yep the Glasgow Kiss(Knuckleduster) would do nicely and The big Beardmore thingy (Inverness?). Any of the early Dorniers even a Do X. Not a Jabberwock' date=' it is a classic as is, scale look-alike. Waco-ish. Rab C Nisbet, the Govan philosopher and fashion icon, my hero ! Early Avro,tut tut, now you are getting sacrilegious. As my dear old dad used to say "never mock the afflicted".[/quote']Card Facet enlarge and play http://www.currell.net/models/facet.htm ??????

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/fbc889c49db84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not sure what you mean by this AAFB ?

In my flyingboats link page...

'wonwing is there a way can we delete the site glitch running related entries??? It detracts from the resource value..'

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Posts 15-20 are just about the viewing/computer problems I was experiencing..nothing to do with the subject really..it was just a thought it saves a page loading wait for people with dial up connections thats not about the actual intended content.

Cheers Clive

I like fun electrics like your DH......its a great way of getting into building your own designs.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am with you now ANFB,probably best if any problems like you have experienced with the vanishing pictures to place such queries under either 'Computer problems' or 'Help' section,I have tidied up by deleting the posts not required anyway.

If it is any consolation it does sometimes happen like this on occasions on various other threads.

S

Stuck_Steve

another source for getting foamboard is sign manufacturing companies - they get 8 foot bu 4 foot sheets of the stuff in - i approached one myself who gave me bits of off cuts they wouldnt use - also if you see a sign being taken down, id reckon they would give you it too. May be worth looking there for some.

Steve

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That stuff called Correx board is also used by the estate agents around here,they usually sling them out after a while,there were once some kits called 'Air Command' which used this material for building,someone I know built their trainer,it flew and flew and flew,without any signs of rotting,I think they did a Piper Cub as well in the same series ?

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Saw something of interest In the links from inter ex site a 2m span electric sale plane but built round a Jedelsky wing .....inefficient? Not quite...... it had been covered in transparent film to form a vastly improved aerofoil section at very little wt increase....and hardly any extra complexity it worked very well. Top sheeted surface had been drilled to lighten as well....you could do similar to a foam board wing

Correx is made of Polypropylene and as such its water, acid, alkali and glow fuel proof its even made in fire resistant grades ............in the building industry its sometimes called loss prevention board and used to protect fixtures and fittings against damage in the final stages or refits.....then it gets slung in the skip!

2mm and 3mm are best for light wings and mugies 4mm is the stuff they use for the estate agents boards and is good for tough/larger models...6mmm is brutal stuff and is increadibly tough if a bit heavy and hard to bend/work.

The sign makers even go up to 20mm stuff with aluminium in! You could build your own boat or micro light using that.

There are some wonderful scale/ish SPADS out here for those who want to fly in marginal weather conditions or just like being able to bounce down ............if you've got to contend with gorse/scrub on landing then its also worth considering. You can build a basic trainer and go crash testing in a w/e.

Last edited: