Frog Model Boats

S

Stephen Hale

I am currently restoring 2 wooden Frog Models, an Albatross and a Rescue Tender (RAF Launch) does anybody have any information/ pictures on this range of model boats. Searching the web has brought no results however there was a copy of an advertisment in a recent edition of "Model Boats" or "MMI" showing the RAF launch and one of the panels on the Albatross is printed as Frog Albatross.

K

Kiwi

Do you know when these kits came out? If it was some time ago I may have the Model Boats or Model Maker mag with a review.Collection runs from 1954 to 1984

S

Seaspray

Hi

Have you tried the Xplans service @ www.modelboats.co.uk. Might have something similar there. Speaking of FROG does it stand for F=fly R=right O= off G= Ground

Seaspray

S

Stephen Hale

Hi There

I would think they are late fifties to mid sixties models. I can photograph them and post if it would help in the identification.

As for what FROG stand for, I believe it was from Flies Right Off the Ground but I cannot find any trace on any of the sites where there is information about Frog producing wooden model boats.

S

Seaspray

Hi

If you put a photogragh on the site it might just help . There are some fifties wooden boats for sale on e-bay but not what your looking for. Another alternative is an advert on Model Boat or Marine Modeller or and keep it open on this site. My search engine keeps finding Airfix kits. Did they buy Frog ?

Seaspray

S

Stephen Hale

Have found the advert shown in Model Boats mag March 2005 in Collectors corner. It shows the High Speed Patrol Launch Kit. It was sold to compete with the Aerokits Crash Tenders. The advert says its from the 1959 catalogue so it gives an indication of age. The advert also shows a boat called the Whippet which looks similar to the Albatross, but the Whippet is fitted withan outboard motor.

Attached are some pictures of both the High Speed Launch and the Albatross, so it may help identify for additioanal information. The main areas that I need information on are the fittings and masts on both models.

View attachment 13167

View attachment 13168

View attachment 13169

View attachment 13170

alb1.jpg

alb2.jpg

fl2.jpg

fl3.jpg

S

Seaspray

You could use the Aerokits or Deans Marine Raf Tender for mast location they won't be far away I built one in 1983 I've seen or heard of the Whippet coming up on e-bay before

K

Kiwi

This is all I've ben able to turn up so far. It is from the August 1961 "Model Maker & Model Cars" There was also a paragraph mentionn of it in the trade review but that didn't mention anything that is not in the ad. No luck yet with the Albatros but I'll keep looking.

View attachment 13171

hspl.jpg

S

Stephen Hale

Hi Kiwi

Thanks for the copy of the advert , it certainly helps with the fittings and the mast. Looking at the ad and seeing the company information as International Model Aircraft Ltd. Have done some searching under this information and it comes up with some more info but no pictures yet.

The Lines Bros. company was formed in 1919 by three brothers; since three lines make a triangle, the Tri-ang name was adopted as a trademark. Most collectors are familiar with the FROG line of ready-to-fly airplanes which were made by International Model Aircraft Ltd. (IMA); this 1931 company, IMA, was taken over in 1932 by Lines Bros. (Tri-ang) and continued in business as IMA (FROG). Tri-ang took over Rovex Plastics Ltd. following WW2. The Lines Bros. company, or the Tri-ang Group, consisted of the following divisions by 1966: IMA became associated with Rovex Scale Models Ltd, which becam Rovex Industries., makers of Tri-ang Railways; Minic Ltd. at Canterbury, makers of Minic Motorways; Minimodels Ltd at Havant, makers of Scalextric Model Raceways, and Spot-On Models Ltd at Belfast, makers of die-cast vehicles. In 1969/70, the group name was changed to Rovex Tri-ang Ltd. The company went into liquidation in 1971, the end of Tri-ang.

Amazing how many toy companies came out from one organisation.

D

David67

I have a complete model ASR launch built from the Frog kit circa 1959/60.

What information do yuo need?

Davi67