Frustrated and very annoyed!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I am building the Trumpeter Sd.Kfz 7/1. The vehicle itself is fine but the 2cm Flakvierling gun is impossible to build! Well the shields are anyway! Let me explain ......
The inner shields can't be built as per the instructions, well not by me anyway. It is not possible to bend some of the PE parts as Trumpeter say. OK I have managed to fudge them and they look almost acceptable. But the main shields are another matter. Trumpeter say that the mesh sides of the rear can be built either up or down, in the travel or action position. I have built the sides up. Now here is the frustration - with the sides up the main gun shields won't fit because in the travel position these shields are folded back. Trumpeter do not supply parts for the folded shields!! So I now have a choice either try to bodge the PE shields in the folded position or miss them off. On my build thread some helpful, more knowledgeable folk, have assured me that sometimes the shields were removed and I have found reference photos showing no shields.
I have read reviews on this kit and this problem is not mentioned. Do the reviewers actually build the kit or just make comment by going through the box? The Trumpeter instructions are hopeless generally and make no reference to this issue. The Dragon kit of this provides a choice of folded or deployed shields so the issue is known.
Here's the folded shields on the Dragon kit
Dragon kit.jpg

I have spent ages b*******g about with this and although I'm a patient person generally this has really annoyed me!!

Rant over - I feel better.