FV107 Scimitar Mk.II CVR(T) - 1/72 - Fore Hobby

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello,
A few days ago I started gluing together the Scimitar Mk.2 from Fore Hobby (now Fore Art). I tried to build the tracks and wheels separately from the hull. However, the whole thing was too fiddly for me, so now everything is firmly glued together. This will definitely be “fun” to paint.
Best regards,
Andi

Attachments

• Scimitar2 - 01.png
    Scimitar2 - 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Scimitar2 - 02.png
    Scimitar2 - 02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Scimitar2 - 03.png
    Scimitar2 - 03.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That is coming along very well.
And a belated welcome to the forum, spent many a night in Munster when based at Buller Kaserne.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andreas,
Great start. very nice detail especially given the small scale.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I tried to build the tracks and wheels separately from the hull. However, the whole thing was too fiddly for me, so now everything is firmly glued together. This will definitely be “fun” to paint.
I don’t want to be painting wheels and tracks like that in 1:35 scale, never mind at half that scale … Good luck :smiling3:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
That is coming along very well.
And a belated welcome to the forum, spent many a night in Munster when based at Buller Kaserne.
Thank you very much. I was also able to spend a few weeks of my life in Münster – not entirely voluntarily :smiling6:

I don’t want to be painting wheels and tracks like that in 1:35 scale, never mind at half that scale … Good luck :smiling3:
I'm with you with the wheels. Otherwise I have to say that I often find it very relaxing to paint small details - maybe a genetic defect in me? :tears-of-joy:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello,
I finally had time to build something further. The hull is now glued together. The only "upgrade" I made is to drill out the lights. The only mistake I discovered was that they forgot to mention a part in the assembly instructions (in the pictures it was simply installed at some point). However, I didn't measure or look for detail errors etc.

IMG_20240424_165352.jpg
IMG_20240424_165359.jpg

What I don't like is that the British maneuver system is attached to the model (I don't know the British name, in Germany it is AGDUS, in the US military it is MILES). In my opinion it would have made more sense to offer these parts as a choice and not to install them from the start. If you really want to remove it, you have to grind the cables from the hull and fill in the holes... It would also have been much easier to use the molds for other variants and, for example, to build the Afghanistan variant with additional armor.

IMG_20240424_165411.jpg
IMG_20240424_165417.jpg

All in all, the kit is pretty over-engineered. A huge amount of unnecessary small parts. Often so small that it is hardly possible to clean them up once they have been removed from the sprue. Without really good side cutters you would quickly be lost!
I'm already looking forward to the turret. When I look at the sprues and the parts left, it feels like it consists of a million parts...

IMG_20240424_165029.jpg
(My finger with two of the PE parts - that's not always fun!)

Best regards,
Andi

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
PE at 1/72: you contemplate them when on the sprue, you dislike (and often search for) them while cutting, you hate those who engineered the kit when you try to glue them.:face-with-head-bandage:
But if everything goes according to your wishes and your fingers debond, then the result is superb.
Good job Andi.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Very nicely done very neat work.
Thank you very much. I just tried to glue together what the description tells me. Not comparable to your amazing detailing work!
They're more like splinters than parts of a model :smiling:
So true. Somehow the model gives the impression that it was actually designed for a larger scale.
Great work so far Andreas, it looks like a well detailed kit, for the size.
Personally, it would have been enough for me if the designer had combined some of the parts. But I also think that a really nice model will emerge from it in the end. It's just that it's already very difficult to even touch the thing, and I haven't even started painting it yet...
PE at 1/72: you contemplate them when on the sprue, you dislike (and often search for) them while cutting, you hate those who engineered the kit when you try to glue them.:face-with-head-bandage:
But if everything goes according to your wishes and your fingers debond, then the result is superb.
Good job Andi.
100% my opinion :thumb2: :smiling5:
Well done and in the small scale.
Thank you very much Mike.