Gabby Gabreski's P47-D Thunderbolt June 1944

B

Bunkerbarge

What an absolutely brilliant paint job. Quite an unusual camouflage scheme as well but that, along with the invasion stripes and some beautiful weathering has produced a simply stunning model. The paint chip effects look spot on, particularly on the prop, and the underside, always a challenge to get the weathering subtle enough against a light color, is perfect.

You've got some interesting subjects lined up in your stash as well so more of this to come, I'm looking forward to it!

A

AJay

Great looking '47, Barry - I always love invasion stripes and these look nicely done. As a side note, I know they were never neat, but it's hard for us modelers to slap on invasion stripes and make them purposely look a mess, eh? I couldn't do it anyway ;)

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Barry, fantastic paint job and authentic weathering.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
Great looking '47, Barry - I always love invasion stripes and these look nicely done. As a side note, I know they were never neat, but it's hard for us modelers to slap on invasion stripes and make them purposely look a mess, eh? I couldn't do it anyway ;)
Alex - I worked on the assumption that the 'ace's ground crew would have taken a bit more care than most.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job Barry, it's come out very well. I've taken a swing at that paint job myself so I know how tricky it is!

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job Barry. Nice stripes, the white is not too white, and the black not too black. Or it that just my dodgy glasses ?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin, a touch of grey in the black helped take the edge and starkness of it, while I allowed washes to take the edge of the white.

Thanks everyone for your comments. i did enjoy that build - the Dragon bf110 is looking, shall we say interesting, ready to start next week with lots of print-out to overcome the shortcomings of the instructions.

Well, a couple more hours in the office then I am off to pack ready for Telford. I am looking forward to meeting some of you reprobates tomorrow 12.00, catering area, hall 3......

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a beautifully finished P47 Barry. Yet another kit I have in the stash and yes I'll be building the Gabby Thunderbolt too. You've made a great job of the camo and the invasion stripes are excellent.

Cheers, Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Barry.

An interesting paint scheme and well executed.

Ian M

B

BigZimmo

Great work, Barry!! A really good camouflage and I like the weathering......well done!!! :smiling3: