Geoffers - Italeri 1/72 Wessex UH.5 - Royal Navy Rescue helicopter

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Update time :smiling4:

First up after the last update was priming. This was done with my usual choice of black Mr Surfacer 1500.

Went down nicely but revealed a few seams that needed a bit further work.

I used Mr Surfacer 500 on these sanded back until I was happy with the results.

A bit of panel line scribing later and these areas were then touched up with a bit more primer.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the pictures I took of this stage but it wasn’t anything too exciting.

Once the primer had been given sufficient time to cure it was time for the top coats.

When I first decided to build a RN SAR Wessex I was picturing a classic RAF blue-grey / fluorescent red scheme. However the decal set I managed to find were for an early Hu.5 used for SAR work and these were painted in olive green / gloss red.

So first up was a coat of Hataka A146 BS Olive Drab (bs381C:298)

This left a lovely smooth finish which once dry was masked up ready for the red.

B6DE8FD3-5482-4EB3-8351-D7DA91413008.jpeg

Before spaying the red I decided to give the unmasked areas a coat of white primer. I thought spaying the red over black primer would take too many coats to give a good coverage.

The red used was Hataka A291 BS Cherry Red (bs381 c:538) from their public service set.

Unmasking this morning after been left over night to dry revealed this.

DB53EEF1-A26B-46EA-84FA-79B1A2F7BFDD.jpeg

D97E7ECD-2F05-457D-8368-7FACE13DAC1F.jpeg

I’m very pleased with how it’s looking so far, it doesn’t look quite so bright in the flesh :cool:

Its clear coat and decals next.

I’ve also got the rotor blades to finish and tyres to paint before final assembly.

A6B42F6D-4857-4588-B4DC-B02A9AB1BC2A.jpeg

Hopefully another update soon.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb geoff , the red really makes it stand out . How was the hataka red coverage over the white ? I know some reds and yellows ( and whites ) can be very translucent and take loads of coats to get a good colour density.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking superb geoff , the red really makes it stand out . How was the hataka red coverage over the white ? I know some reds and yellows ( and whites ) can be very translucent and take loads of coats to get a good colour density.

Thanks Tony :thumb2:

It went on really well, probably 3-4 passes with the airbrush, I managed to get it done in one sitting.
I mainly use Vallejo Model Air but have got a few Hataka paints recently and I’m starting to prefer them.

Geoff.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It went on really well, probably 3-4 passes with the airbrush, I managed to get it done in one sitting.
I mainly use Vallejo Model Air but have got a few Hataka paints recently and I’m starting to prefer them.
Always interesting how preferences differ. I tried Hataka several times, and then decided to stop bothering with them exactly because I had to go over the same area three to five times before the paint covers even remotely well. Of course, I was spraying camouflage with them, where it’s much more annoying to have to spray the same patch more than once, than if you’ve got a nicely masked-off area to spray like you did here.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Yes I can see how that would be a problem with camo. I’ve only used it for single colour schemes so far.

I’ve got a couple of builds in the pipeline that will need camo so I’ll see how it goes :thumb2:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok.... So I'm soooooo late it's almost last orders before locking up time but that is very good indeed.

Very good!! Love the little details you added!! Top notch work.

ATB.

Andrew

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

Time for another update.

Well after giving it a good all over gloss coat using Alclad Aqua Gloss I started to apply the decals.

I’ve used some from the original kit sheet and the Modeldecal sheet I had sourced.

I’ve also used some Xtradecal letters/numbers as neither of the other sets had all the appropriate markings.

73D4293C-1B2E-4F18-AA2B-E9B602FB5AE5.jpeg
0E20DEB1-28B2-41D5-9954-EFD5EA83CF4F.jpeg28185294-7BBA-4A08-AA7E-5BA78EC09AF6.jpeg

Despite trying various decal solutions both the original decals and the Modeldecal ones were very reluctant to settle.
The Italeri decals seem very flat and prone to silvering where as the Modeldecal ones seem reluctant to settle, maybe due to there age?
I have got them as good as I can so hopefully they will be better under a coat of varnish.

The rotor blades have also been sorted. I decided to paint the high vis markings on the tail rotor rather than use the supplied decals.
AC5B59D1-B4AA-4FD5-856D-EB3AFB3CC00B.jpeg
I’m just waiting on the Xtradecal large number/ letter decal sheet to arrive before finishing the decals off.

Not too much more to do, thanks for looking.

Geoff.

Last edited: