Greatwall Fw189-A2 nachtjager

T

treyzx10r

Graham thanks,not looking forward to the mask and its 80 panels

Thanks Steve,the interior dash on the ref pic differs alot from the kit and the support behind the navigators seat is behind the pilots on the model ,any idea what variant the pic came from?No biggie just curious and again thanks for taking the effort to find it ,been a great help.

Adrian,Andy thank you very much

Tony thanks, I'll make sure to get lots of interior shots ,just tell me when to quit posting them if I get carried away

I've been working double shifts at work so the progress has slowed sorry about that. I did tackle the upper instrument panel . With all the glass some added detail here was a must. I took the stock panel and drilled out all the instrument holes

next I strecthed some sprue ,sanded to size of the hole and glued in place

all in place ready for trimming and sanding

just about there I need to add the wiring but thats for another session I need sleep first

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work there Trey. I can't find the picture in the Fw189 book so I must have scanned it from somewhere else and mis-labeled it. I'll see if I can find the original reference for you.

I have a bad habit of scanning pictures I think are interesting and putting them in folders on my HD by aircraft type rather than source which means I sometimes have to try and find the original to be sure! The whole point of scanning them is for a quick reference lol!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Why do I always miss cracking builds until late on?

I've just read this from the start Trey, and it's looking really nice with some excellent painting.

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Steve thanks ,its great that you even had a pic of the interior! I was hoping if you knew if the mg151 used on this was belt or drum fed? I ca'nt seem to find any reference or pics of the set up. I've got some single drums left from some others builds just not sure if that would fit the bill.

Thanks Ron!

I got the wiring on the overhead console done

I also built the diopole support from a brass tube and some stretched sprue. I'm geussing at this set up as the ref pics do'nt show this area,might not be accurate but I'm living with it. I drilled a hole in the floor for the hard point

then made the mount from stretched sprue

test fit is good,I'll be able to leave the tube off until the final steps,also mounted up the overhead cluster

I also replaced the cannon barrel and wheel axles with some steel rod

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't find an image of this particular installation but my money would be on a drum magazine rather than a belt feed. Usually weapons served by a crew member used this system as no complicated mechanism to feed the belts (just look at a turret on an allied bomber!) was needed. The relatively small number of rounds contained in these magazines was not considered a problem as they could be changed quickly. I've got several of images of the more standard armament on this aircraft.

I'll have a good look tomorrow.

Great work you've done as well,it really looks impressive.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Quality work as usual mate. Keep it up its looking excellent.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Great Steve you've been a huge help as always really appreciate it!

Thanks Andy will do!

I tried some plasti-pair to mold up the Fug radar boxes,I use the stuff to repair the fairings on my race bike figured it would work on this application

molded it into blocks

then cut to size added the details and paint

this should just about wrap up the interior aside from the schrage music instal

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Spanac!

My eyes are ready to fall out of my head ,got the masks on and sprayed a coat of clear to help control creeps and bleeds

T

treyzx10r

The masks are a bit of a let down struggling to keep them from lifting. I spent a long time burnishing them back down with a toothpick and then shot on some primer so far it seems to be holding. I had to remask some of the more stubborn ones geez what a pain

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is a lot of masking. Did the masks come with the kit? It looks good.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Trey, you have the patience of a Saint. I couldn't even see the numbers, let alone stick them on the canopy!

A very nice build, excellent painting and scratch building....Coming together nicely.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know how this one slipped under the radar! Excellent work going on here. That huge green house would of scared the pants off me. Love the work on the cock pit, fantastic!

A very unique aircraft too.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Steve thanks and yes they did come with the kit but the quality is not very high,so far its been the only let down with this otherwise great kit

Ron ,Ian thanks a bunch for the props really appreciate it!

I got the preshading(my second attempt at this technique)and the underside sprayed

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Really coming on now trey,cant wait to see it in the paint, cheers tony

Š

Španac

Excellent coloring below. Preshading is just the measure. I enjoy this project ..

cheers

Španac

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the continued intrest and kind words ! I did'nt get to the mottle as I had planned but did finish the cammo

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Really looking good now trey, this is making me want to start mine even more (in spite of the masking on the canopy in 1/72!!) top stuff! , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Tony, after seeing what you pull off with those itty bitty kits you've been doing it should be a cake walk for you.

I had good paint session today got the mottle on . I tried to be a bit sloppy with it to match what pics I had. Seems it was a hasty job done in the field would be my geuss ,hope I pulled it off. I also shot a coat of floor polish on it in prep for a decal session later.

scratched up some exhausts

not sure if the N/F conversion maintaned a tail gun so I opted for the single mg instead of the supplied double set up