H&S Ultra

O

omi1966

The ultra is an all rounder, 2mm or 4 mm I tend to stick to just the 2 mm and can spray most paints through it and it has no problems with varnish or large areas, I never seem to use the 4mm unless I'm doing something really big with large areas.

You may struggle with fine, fine detail with the ultra but it's a great starter brush just to get you hooked, good luck with your choice mate, we will all help you when you get it and have fun you will be looking at everything to see what you can paint, plastic spoons are great for practice.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Actually to calrify a clarify. Many of the Iwata brushes have alternatives. For instance the brushes I have the HP BH has a .2 needle/nozzle but a .3 is an optional extra. The HP BS has a .35 but can take a .5. Laurie
True Laurie, but it's not just a case of screwing on a new nozzle and changing the needle. Surely the needle packing would also have to be changed to accommodate a different needle size, and that's a fiddly job! On my Eclipse it's a very small Teflon screw thingy.

They are not designed to be easily interchangeable. Many airbrush users wouldn't know how to do it and I wouldn't advise it.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
I hear you! ...checks bank balance...!
\ said:
True Laurie, but it's not just a case of screwing on a new nozzle and changing the needle. Surely the needle packing would also have to be changed to accommodate a different needle size, and that's a fiddly job! On my Eclipse it's a very small Teflon screw thingy.They are not designed to be easily interchangeable. Many airbrush users wouldn't know how to do it and I wouldn't advise it.

Cheers

Steve
Probably different with each Iwata type Steve. They do produce very nice airbrushes but they are not easy to maintain. Think if you are going to change sizes of needle nozzle regularly the front assembly is the best bet which makes it then easy but more expensive. For me I do not swap as I get used to one and that is it.

What I was trying to point out was that if you acquired a brush you do have an alternative needle/nozzle if you found the one supplied was not as perhaps you thought etc. Compared to an H & S you are spot on Steve. With an H & S . Remove needle, unscrew front with fingers pop out nozzle pop in alternative screw back insert new needle. 30 secs flat.

If you can afford it one brush for varnish and primer H & S. One for general coverage work Iwata .35 my preference. Close work Iwata .2 with a small cone spray. Bit expensive but not a drop in the ocean compared to my previous spare time occupation of chucking 10 pound notes in to a big hole in the sea in maintaining a sea going boat spending more time on the thing than actual going to sea in it. Airbrushes for me now provide my excitement in life. God I am going to pieces it must be that Monday thing.

Laurie

J

John Rixon

Right! Had an epiphany today with the freebie airbrush that came with my compressor. Using Vallejo's green primer, I've primed a fair bit of my Churchill today, really sweet surface, almost no fall-out (Aerosols make sure that at least a 3 foot area around the model get primed as well!). I am now sold on dual action - thanks gents, you've saved me from buying single action, then realising I actually need a dual…!

However, I don't trust this Airbrush, in the respect that I want to understand all it's foibles - I am the kind of bloke that wants his painting tools as clean as a cat's…well, you know, so I am going to buy an H&S as soon as me pension comes through;). Then an extracting booth, then……..

L

Laurie

\ said:
Right! Had an epiphany today with the freebie airbrush that came with my compressor. Using Vallejo's green primer, I've primed a fair bit of my Churchill today, really sweet surface, almost no fall-out (Aerosols make sure that at least a 3 foot area around the model get primed as well!). I am now sold on dual action - thanks gents, you've saved me from buying single action, then realising I actually need a dual…!However, I don't trust this Airbrush, in the respect that I want to understand all it's foibles - I am the kind of bloke that wants his painting tools as clean as a cat's…well, you know, so I am going to buy an H&S as soon as me pension comes through;). Then an extracting booth, then……..
Like it John. Another Scale Model Forum success story.

Laurie